It was time for the March end-of-month drinks at the club this evening, and so I went to join everyone at the club after work. It was a smaller crowd than usual, and we never found ourselves moving out of the bar. I was glad to see Doro and the Irishman, and the Wild Welshman was there too, always a treat for me.
Unfortunately Doro and the Irishman couldn't stay for long, so I found myself staying seated with G (our slightly kooky vice-chair of the Younger Member's Committee), the Wild Welshman, and a few others. I say that G is slightly kooky, because she flirts in a most bizarre manner, often treating boys like pets and petting them (seriously, stroking their arms).
So you can imagine my surprise when at one point when G started talking to me about things to do on the committee, and she seriously started PETTING me. Since when did I turn into one of her pets? It's such a strage little behaviour, I wasn't quite sure how to react to it.
The group continued to chat quite a bit into the evening, and G kept insisting that people should join her for dinner, although we really didn't want to. Just never took the hint no matter how many times the Wild Welshman and I said we didn't want to go to dinner. Finally, she talked two others into joining her for dinner, and so myself, the Wild Welshman, my friend Florie, the Wild Welshman's flatmate, and that guy with the goatee whose name escapes me at the moment just continued to enjoy our drinks at the bar. Then, at around 9-9:30ish, we all decided to head over to the Caledonian, where there was a small, but nice crowd gathered. Mostly people wishing the Jones twins a happy birthday, probably about 20 people in total. In truth, I spent most of my time chatting with the Wild Welshman about books we've read lately, as it's always one of my favourite things, chatting to people who read. We finally left together at around 11 PM, with promises to catch up more on Saturday. I do enjoy his company, but I think at this point we might be far too stuck in the "Piers Dilemma", of we're quite now in the "friends zone". It's funny, as I think that might actually be my advice for Piers: You've got to act quickly. Once you are friends, it's kind of too late. I've heard of people who move from being friends to being in a relationship, but I really have no idea how that happens.
We left the club together, and ended up chatting on the street corner where we had to part ways, and I reminded him that we'd first met in that very same bar so long ago. How much has changed since then? It was a sweet, poignant moment, more remarkable for the obvious fact that we both realised it was somehow significant, but we had no idea what to do about it. I really wonder some days what is going on in that boy's head...
No comments:
Post a Comment