Thursday, 24 March 2011

High School Reunion


This evening, I got together with my old friend from Kindergarten (who I see all of the time), our class valedictorian (who lives in London but whom I don't see as frequently), and our friend Maren, who happened to be visiting London on a business trip (she normally lives in Boston).

I suggested we all meet at the pub where we'd had the hash the week before, which turned out to be a terrible move, as it was way too small and overcrowded. I wondered how on earth I would find Maren amidst the crowds, as I hadn't seen her practically since graduation day.

When Maren arrived, I instantly knew that I need not have worried about recognising her, as she looked almost absolutely the same as she had in high school. We only had a few moments to catch up and chat before the others arrived, but she managed to get the basics down and raise her eyebrows asking, "So you're single? And your Friend From Kindergarten is also single? Hmmm....how about that..." Yes, I know, and I'll admit the thought has crossed my mind at times...

We stayed at the over-crowded pub for one drink, before moving on to another pub that my Friend from Kindergarten knew about that was much more spacious and much quieter, where we were able to get dinner and have a few more drinks, talking and catching up, and before long hooting and laughing our heads off at stories about some of our fellow classmates and the things they've gotten up to. I will admit, often my Friend from Kindergarten and I would break off into our own conversations, as I'll admit we see each other more frequently and have more to talk about. But it was good to see the group as a whole, and realise how well we've all done over the years. Having missed our 10-year high school reunion, it was great to see them all again!

Finally the late night had to come to an end, and we all peeled off in our own directions, with me and my Friend from Kindergarten heading home together (since we live around the corner from each other). A great night catching up, and great to see everyone again...

No comments:

Post a Comment