Monday, 28 June 2010

My 31st Birthday


I'm 31 today!! Given how the past couple of weeks have seemed like one long, continuous birthday party, it was almost a bit surreal to find that the day itself was finally at hand!

I was woken up in the morning by a call from Dr T, where he sang "Happy Birthday" to me again in the most purposefully awful singing. I think I nearly peed myself laughing. Luckily he seemed okay about me losing him last night, and told me some funny stories about going swimming. Of course, what is usual with him is that when he gets excited I can find his English somewhat hard to understand (silly Danes!) and without the visual cues it's hard to know what they were saying. But by just nodding along, I got most of the story at least, and a very good start to my birthday!!

I then went out and joined my friends from the hash where they were having a run (I purposefully arrived too late to have to run), where everyone wanted to buy me drinks, and I had a great time chatting with this guy I know, Jon. He's a bit sweet on me (but he's a smoker, so that's a no-no), but he basically just spent the afternoon making me laugh, even buying me another drink after I knocked over the first one he bought me. (Eeek, and I swear I hadn't had much to drink, as they were all shandies!) The boys are good to me, that's for sure...
Finally ended up in a packed bar in Picadilly to watch the USA vs. Ghana match. ("Tiger Tiger", which I knew the name of because about two years ago, a car bomb nearly went off in front of it. Only quick thinking by the police stopped it as it was smoking. And I was going to it at a time when it was packed with Americans? Yeah, that sounds awesome...) It was a fun crowd, but I was getting overly into the game, and I hadn't eaten since breakfast, so I think I was too focused on how hungry I was to think about chatting anyone up... Such a shame because the girls I was with gave their numbers to two guys....apparently it was a good crowd! Still, the boys I was with made sure I got plenty of attention anyway, so I wasn't short on good company.

My brother called me with 10 minutes to go in the match, so I had to yell into the phone that I couldn't talk (the pub was PACKED and screaming), and then eventually sneak outside to call him back. So great to talk to my brother on my birthday!

Whilst I was outside, I wondered if I should make my way to yet ANOTHER party that I was due to put in an appearance at, but at this point I was just too tired. Luckily, after the game, everyone in the crowd was up for food, so after going to a Wagamama's (closed) and a Pizza Express (20 minutes for a table) we went to Pizza Hut, where there was finally food at last! (Did I mention I was STARVING?)

At last, finally made my way home on one of the last Tubes at midnight. Overall, I have to say, what a fabulous birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment