
The next morning we were up early as my brother Dave wanted us up there in Portsmouth to help out with setting up for the party. Since we needed ingredients for guacamole (and I was desperate for some Diet Coke), we pulled into the parking lot at Foodmaster, then thought better of it and went to Whole Foods. Alas, since Whole Foods is so granola crunch, there was no Diet Coke for me! Katie did get a coffee, but then managed to spill coffee on my gift bag. Luckily we hadn't checked out yet, so I went back and replaced it with another, nicer bag that I liked better. So in the end, it all worked out! (Although it will be a pity when they discover the coffee-stained gift bag that I hid at the back of the rack).
On the drive up, this guy nearly drove into us. My cousin would have honked except she was drinking coffee. And I don't mean to criticise my cousin's driving, but suddenly the reason she's been in two accidents in the past four years became quickly apparent. That girl needs to pay more attention when she drives, as that one there was nearly her third accident in as many years. When the guy drove by however, the side of the car was totally smashed in. I wonder how that happened? Obviously, my cousin isn't the only one who needs to pay more attention when she drives...
We arrived in Portsmouth, and then immediately went out to Hannafords, the local grocery store there. So why did we need to go to Whole Foods?
We ran into Ben (of Ben and Amanda fame) in the parking lot. Got some more avocados and some Diet Coke for me, hurrah. We then went over to John and Heather’s house (the next-door neighbours), and my cousin started making guac there, on the nice, clean, pristine set-up-for-the-party counter-tops. I have no idea why.
My brother then suggested that we move over to his house for guac making, which made a lot more sense to me. Unfortunately, when doing the avocados, got some on my white shirt. Why do I only think to put an apron on AFTER the fact?
The Mulligans arrived, my sister-in-law's parents and brother, and it was really nice to see them. I really like Mr Mulligan (not like they’re not all great). Finally once we had the guac ready and it was about time for the party, we went back over to the next door neighbour's house, and I stood around talking to the Mulligans, and had a good time talking to Bill Mulligan. Then my sister-in-law arrived, and just seemed sort of dazed to see everyone there. It was a fun shower, and some people had come up with some great gifts. (A lullaby version of all U2 songs? How well did somebody know my brother to find that one?)
I ate too much at the party, but all of the food was so good. Afterwards, Katie headed back to Boston, I stayed around Portsmouth, although I was so tired at one point, my brother sent me and my sister-in-law upstairs to take a nap.
I woke up in time to help out with the grilling for dinner. We went back over to the next door neighbour's house for dinner, had great chicken, and more leftovers. Afterwards, we went on an after-dinner walk around the neighbourhood, and my brother and I had a great time playing 1-2-3 with Lily and Grace the next-door neighbour's kids. (Boy, was the four-year old Lily easier to heft into the air than the seven-year old Grace, however!)
We went back over to my brother's house to hang out a bit more, although my brother was so tired he needed to take a nap. My sister-in-law and her friend Kristen drove me to the bus station, where I caught the bus back to Boston. Kind of a nice ride, actually, with leather seats, radio, and even Wi-Fi if I'd had a computer...
Back on the Red Line on the T, I saw a nice lesbian couple on the train (matching rings and everything) and then realised perhaps I see more gay people in Boston than I recall from previously because of the whole gay marriage thing? Funny how that had never occurred to me before...
I made it back to my cousin's house and into bed, where my cousin had gotten home from the wedding a little while before. There was some random guy staying over (friend of a friend who needed a place to crash before heading to the airport early in the AM), so I was in bed with Katie. Bless that girl for being so good with guests, even as they fill up all of the available sleeping spaces in the house! And the guy woke us up when he left...argh. I guess with so many guests, not much sleeping can be done!!
No comments:
Post a Comment