![]() |
| The Australian Girlfriend and Hong Kong Boy |
I joined them at a nearby pub (they live locally to me) for lunch at 12:30, where I was pleased that after a rash of rotten weather, they were sitting out in the sunshine when I arrived. At last, a sunny day in London!
We had squid starters and some amazing burgers, and we chatted about upcoming events, including Ascot, Henley, our favourite Young Dutchman, and the ball that I'm planning in June. It was really just such a pleasure hanging out and talking with them, I had forgotten how much I truly enjoyed their company.
Unfortunately, after sitting out in the sun in just our t-shirts, clouds rolled in making us chilly, and just before we were going to have dessert, we felt the first rain drops. We were too tempted by dessert however, and so moved inside to continue the conversation and indulge our sweet tooth.
![]() |
| This burger was amazing, with pulled pork on it! |
Finally we parted ways, leaving me to go continue looking through thrift shops for hats. To my surprise, I never found one I liked in any of the shops, but found one absolutely perfect one for just £17 at TK Maxx, a black-and-cream coloured number.
Which then of course required a dress to go with it, and I just by chance found an absolutely perfect one. A bit snug, perhaps, but it zipped up, and I think might provide just the right motivation to continue going to the gym and working out.
I got home intending to go to the gym, but realised since it was Sunday it was already quite late in the day. Right as I was debating this however, I got a call from the Tall South African, who was out at a pub with Lotte and a few others. Realising it was less than 30 minutes away by bus, I changed and went out to meet him.
When I arrived, the girls had left for some reason, so I found myself just sitting there chatting with him and a French/Mexican guy that I know though him. The French/Mexican guy is a huge computer nerd, so we actually get on quite well, and so enjoyed spending time hanging out and talking.
The boys actually spent quite a bit of time treating me like one of the boys, talking about cheating, their thoughts on it, and quite how frequently they've done it. Knowing boys like these, while they are entertaining, does discourage me a bit about men in general. Because you realise that the boys who are tall, good-looking and who can pick up women with ease don't really feel all that bound by thoughts of monogamy. It's much more of a "as long as she doesn't find out about it, it's okay" kind of situation. Which does make me wonder how many men are faithful simply out of a lack of opportunity to be otherwise.
It was one of the stories The Blonde told me on Friday night, where she told the tale of meeting one of the guys who is now a regular in our running club for the first time in Milan. She saw he had a ring on his left hand, but when she asked about it he told her that it was a fraternity ring. He majorly put the moves on her and tried to kiss her, but she just wasn't interested in him in general, thinking merely that he was a nice guy. So imagine her shock a few weeks later then, chatting to a lovely girl at a running club party, and discovering that the girl was this guy's wife.
As she said to me, "What was he thinking? What would he have done if I'd reciprocated his interest? Just dated me and hung out with me at running club events? How could that not have blown up in his face?" She said at a later party, he found her alone and apologised for his actions, and she promised never to blow his cover. Yet it made me reconsider why I see them at the same events so much and never speaking. I had thought it a bit strange then, now I know why.
I think what it comes down to, as I was talking to these boys, is that men tend to only think in the moment too much, without thinking through the consequences. When they're with a girl, they're with her, and not thinking about who might be waiting for them elsewhere. It's one of the things that is definitely true of the Tall South African. When he's in the moment, he's in it, but there's no thought about anything else anywhere.
We then walked back to Lotte's place, where we had cake (yum!) and chatted to Lotte and the girl that the Tall South African is currently seeing (but he refuses to call her his girlfriend). Luckily we didn't have to stay too long, before walking back to South Kensington to catch the bus and Tube home. The Tall South African's girl was wearing the most ridiculous outfit and shoes, so of course he wanted to walk all of the way home with her. Poor girl. Glad that I just got to hop on a bus and go home in my nice comfy trainers!


No comments:
Post a Comment