Friday, 17 May 2013

Late Office and Movie Night

After a gym session this morning, I had to shower and go into the office, although I called my mother to wish her a happy birthday whilst I changed and got dressed.  And I discovered that I fit into an old pantsuit that I hadn't worn in years, making me think that all of this dieting and gym effort might actually be worth it if I fit into my clothes again.  It's like I went shopping, but in my own closet, for free!

I made my way into the office, found a desk, and then got a random IM message from a girl on my larger team who needed help, and she happened to be upstairs in the office.  I never get to actually see people on my team, so I went upstairs and talked through it with her.  Solved the problem in five minutes, another advantage of actually talking face-to-face with people.

Then I went and found the next guy I needed to talk to, and we ran through a demo that I needed to work on in the "Innovation Centre", which I had never been inside of before, which was really cool.  Had just a good session, so that by the time I was talking to the Managing Director of my team later on in the afternoon, he was just shaking his head about how on top of everything I was and how together I was.  I'm just good like that...

I wrote to Roofie's Brother, just to give him a pointless laugh for the day, which it did, and I engaged in some back-and-forth banter with him throughout the rest of the day.  Ever since my conversation with The Blonde, it's really clicked for me about him.  Realising that our whole flirtation is never actually going to go anywhere, so it doesn't make sense to stress about it, I should just enjoy it for the minor thrills it gives me throughout the work day.  Plus, after talking with the Tall South African, I realised that I need to play to my strengths.  So many boys who are such players with all other women are so sweetly devoted to me, I think because of my wit and charm, combined with my absolute lack of regard for what they thing, along with an unwillingness to be one of those wimpy girls who is so eager-to-please.  And so I've just started playing Roofie's Brother that way, charming him and making him laugh, but not actually caring about whether he responds, and I find more and more he comes to heel.  I guess there's a reason Joel says I have too many puppies.

At the end of the work day, I took a call from the Tall South African, who wanted me to come on this road trip from hell for his birthday, and seemed frustrated that I wasn't willing to go along with it.  But seriously, the original plan was to go kayaking in France with a mix of guys and girls.  Now, because he hasn't gotten his act together, the plan has morphed into a road trip to The Hague in Holland to the Lovely Dutch Girl's house, with the annoying "girlfriend", The Blonde (oh boy, your current girlfriend and your ex on the same trip?) and another random girl I don't know.  Can you think of any road trip that sounds more hellish?

He said that what he really wanted to do for his birthday was just go off, only the two of us, and drink whiskey.  To which I pointed out, "You want to spend more time with me than the girl you're dating.  Doesn't something strike you as wrong about that?"

I can tell recently that the Tall South African is getting a few things confused in his head.  I know at the beginning I thought I wanted to date him, but now I really don't.  And it seems at this point he is realising that he likes spending time with me more than any other girl, and so of course treating me like a psuedo-girlfriend.  I'm the one he wants to talk to when he'd down and depressed, I'm the one he wants to spend endless days with.

Except there is this exceedingly frustrated part of me that wants to stamp my feet and say, "But I am NOT your girlfriend!"

To be fair, I know I use him in a lot the same way too, to always have a date, someone to go to dinner with, to chat for hours over drinks with, to just be the guy in my life.  But he must remember that there are these boundaries...

At the end of the work day, I got a call from Sweetheart, wanting to know what I was up to that evening.  I told him I'd been invited to a "singles people get-together" event, although as I was still stuck in the office working on things, I was starting to doubt that I would leave in time to go.  So I promised to call him when I was leaving, which indeed turned out to be over an hour after the start of the event (meaning I would arrive over two hours late), so at that point I really just wanted to go home.

When I got there, he called.  "Want to come over and watch a movie?"  So I threw a bottle of wine and some fruit in a bag, threw on some jeans and a t-shirt, and went over to his.

We chose to watch "The Impossible", a movie about a family that survived the Southeast Asian tsunami in 2009.  It was strange, because I remembered the news being dominated by that story at the time, and yet here watching the movie, I realised that there was so much that I didn't know about the actual event.

It was a really good film actually, and as per usual, we stuck around afterwards Googling information about the actual family the film was based on, and watching interviews with the mother and the actress who played her.  As he texted me later when I got home, "the post-film discussion is the best part of movie night!"

The one thing I found odd however, was that when he handed the computer over to me (as I'm just better and quicker at typing and Googling things), he had multiple tabs open, so I could read the other web pages he had recently been looking at.  Some were normal, like his e-mail, and then one was VERY obviously a porn site, with the title "{Famous Porn Star} doing naughty slutty things in black leather!"  Ugh.  I know all men watch porn, but I thought it was sort of an unspoken agreement between men and women, that men will hide their porn from us, and we'll pretend not to know about it.  Definitely made me very uncomfortable to know what he'd likely been doing right before I came over for movie night!

Still, at least our own relationship remains exceedingly platonic, so at around 1 AM, he gave me a kiss and a pat on the behind, and sent me home.  All in all, not a bad way to spend a Friday night...

No comments:

Post a Comment