Saturday, 4 May 2013

Canadian's Leaving Party

With the Canadian girl, Sister Fister and Sweedy
This evening was the leaving party for a Canadian girl in my running club, and although I might not be tremendously close to her, I'd already checked with Roofie's Brother, and he said he was looking forward to seeing me there.  So even though it was all of the way across town, why not go?

The party wasn't due to begin until 9 PM (so late for a party so far away!) and yet somehow I took so long getting ready that I still arrived a half-hour late.  Yet at least I'd made it there in a reasonable amount of time...
Ginger Lawyer Guy and Roofie's Brother
Among the first people I saw were Roofie's Brother and Sister Fister, so I greeted her first (to which she exlaimed, "You look HOT!"  Ummm...thanks?)  Then I turned and greeted Roofie's Brother.  Although we always kiss each other on the lips when saying good-bye, we've always been of the habit of kissing each other on the cheek to say hello, so I went in for his cheek but he went for my lips, and we sort of met on the lips.  Ooops, awkward!  So now I'd started the evening out by making him self-concious, when obviously he was remembering our last meeting and was still quite keen.

I was surprised when throughout the evening, quite a few others commented on how much weight I've lost because I've been so hard-core at the gym these days.  Which I always have mixed feelings about, because I've been working hard and it's nice that the results can be seen, but when people directly comment that you've lost weight, it makes you think, "Jeez, how fat was I before?"
With the Canadian, Sister Fister, The Blonde, and Sweedy
I spent most of the evening chatting with loads of people, although trying to stay close and talk to Roofie's Brother when I could.  I didn't get a huge amount of opportunity however, as Sister Fister had earlier announced her intentions to get wasted that evening, and so she was either dancing like an absolute maniac (I wish I had her energy!), or by the end of the evening was seeming quite tearful, lonely and depressed, which is when she always ends up monopolising Roofie's Brother.  Who to his credit, always tries to be a good friend and be supportive, but I wonder why so many boys tolerate those manic mood swings in girls.

The Blonde kept wanting to pull me aside to chat as well, for some reason really wanting to talk about the Tall South African and how his life choices are driving her nuts.  Equally, I explained that this was not something she really should get worked up about, as he was a smart boy who knew perfectly well what he was doing, but simply wasn't mature enough to change course yet.
With Sweedy and Angel
She did express quite a bit of concern for the emotions of the girls he's involved with, but I think the same argument could be made for the emotions of the boys she's involved with.  I explained to her that I'd had the "campsite rule" conversation with him, explaining that break-ups are always hard, and people get hurt, but you just have to try to leave them with no permanent consequences or undue emotional trauma.  In truth, looking back at my own exes, although they generally behaved like immature arses, rarely were they truly mean or devious.  It's a tough thing though, because I'm well aware that the Tall South African is a bit of an arsehole.  He continually reminds me that he's not really a nice person.  And he isn't...except to me, who he is more fiercely loyal to than a guard dog.  So am I as blind to his faults as many people are to their own dogs?

We then did some dancing, although I was more comfortable with chair-dancing, while I had to admit Roofie's Brother was cutting quite a few moves on the dance floor.  He's a much better dancer than I am, and I'll admit it's one of the things I like about him, that he's always willing to just cut loose and dance.
With Angel
I spent a while chatting to Angel, the absolutely giant guy who is a good friend of Roofie's Brother.  Very funny, as I think most women prefer him to Roofie's Brother, as he's this really funny, loud, outgoing guy.  And he's nice enough, and I enjoy his company, but given the choice between the two, I prefer the quieter, softer, gentler guy.  Not everybody needs an Alpha Male.  Still, he's good fun to hang out with!

We had a great time dancing as a lot of songs from the 90's played in the rotation, which were all songs from our high school days, definitely hitting up the nostalgia.  Yet finally at 2 AM, the last song played up, and the small band of survivors remaining had to decide what to do next.

Roofie's Brother made noises about potentially having an after-party at his, but I could see that wasn't going to go well, as Sister Fister was getting hugely emotional, the Canadian was quite drunk, and the crowd was acting like herding cats.  So, although I would have enjoyed continuing the evening, I made the rounds of giving everyone kisses good-bye, saving Roofie's Brother for last when people hopefully weren't paying attention.  He gave me a nice solid kiss, and when I asked, "See you soon?" he smiled, grabbed my hand and said with a smile, "Of course!"

In the end, it took me two hours to get home via night buses across London, perhaps making me think it wasn't so wise to stay out so late.  Yet, still quite a fun night out!

No comments:

Post a Comment