Tuesday, 11 May 2010

Liverpool Street Run

After a week away, it was time to go running again, this time near Liverpool Street.

I showed up and began collecting money from everyone standing outside, and noticed a guy standing off to the side of the crowd, looking a bit lost. Noting the tell-tale signs of a virgin, I approached him, determined that he was indeed a newbie, and so introduced myself and explained a bit about the run. After all, one of the things I like about my role is that it teaches me to be such a good socialite in training, remembering people's names and making the new folks feel welcome.

Soon enough it was time to put our bags away, and you can imagine my delight when a familiar face showed up and exclaimed, "Adi!" Matt was there, who I hadn't seen since March at Zu's leaving party. Hurrah!! What an absolute delight!!

Matt was coming off an injury however, and so decided to run the entire hash with me (as I'm a notoriously slow runner). Yet I could tell that despite his injury, Matt was slowing his pace considerably to keep running with me, which forced me to work harder than usual to keep up my own pace. In the end we ran for 1 hour and 30 minutes, and I burned 1004 calories by the end of the run, so you know I got a workout!

We spent pretty much the entire time discussing Matt's job prospects, investing strategy, and our recent travels, never running out of anything to talk about. As usual, I always enjoy my conversations with Matt.

I also kept shouting encouragement to the new guy whenever I saw him and checks and things, which he seemed to appreciate. He seemed sort of cute, but nothing that really made me turn my head. When we got back to the pub, I saw him at the bar and so started up a conversation, whereupon he completely startled me by using profanity in his chatter. I suppose it shows the crowds I normally spend time with, that I'm so unusued to hearing men use profanity in women's company. He also reveals that he's 25, further confirming my suspicions that there was something not quite right about him. Still, he apparently had a marvellous time on the run and claims he'll be back, so that's good to hear!

As the crowds gathered at the bar, the lovely American girl who is always so sweet, Kim, asked if she could get me a drink. I just asked for a water, as after that run I was definitely feeling the need for it.

As I turned around, Matt was then offering to get me a drink as well, although feeling virtuous about my water, I declined. To which Matt just gave me one of his trademark looks, as though to ask, "You won't drink with me?" And then when he suggested a Guinness, I was sold. After all, Guinness is one of the most low-calorie beers, right?

Alas, I lost Matt after a bit to go collect the remaining money from everybody else (and to be fair, he should have the opportunity to talk to others besides me, right?) I found myself in conversation with Alan, Zu's ex, who I was completely surprised to see there. (And this time I remembered his name!) Apparently he'd come for the first time the week before, when I wasn't there, and had such a good time that he came back again. He offered to send me the data from his iPhone on the route we'd run, and then somehow, I can't quite remember how, the conversation eventually turned to the ups and downsides of fake boobs. Obviously, having enough to work with already, I'm not a fan, but Alan couldn't seem to stop declaring his fondness for them. Truth be told, it was a rather hilarious conversation...

Alan apologized that Dan Marr wasn't there, who was the guy all weird things had been going on with at Zu's leaving party last March. In truth, I hadn't thought about him since then, so I did have to almost stop myself from blurting out, "And why would I care?" Ah well, I just have to assume that Alan was just grasping for straws of conversation, trying to remember what on earth we had in common.

Matt was very clever and left at the sensible hour of 9:30. Although I was dissappointed not to get a chance to talk to him more, I could understand his desire for an early departure, as I really should have done the same. Instead, I ended up staying through the circle and spending a lot of time talking to Two Skin (someone I rarely talk to, actually), and then eventually ending the evening in conversation with the Giant Australian. After a bit Bum Bandit (another Australian who I will admit seems like a fine person) joined us, and the conversation ranged in topics from Asbergers to Hong Kong money. I wasn't entirely surprised when the Giant Australian used some points in conversation to get VERY close to me or wrap the casual arm around me, but I don't think must has really changed there. He's certainly an attractive enough guy, but also a bit...harsh. He's an engineer, so I suppose his incredibly logical take on everything makes sense, but I'm not altogether sold on it. Still, fascinating conversation that meant I didn't leave until 11 PM (there goes my fine idea of leaving early like Matt!) As usual, I remain amazed by all the good and fascinating people in the hash, who are so much fun to spend time with.

Talk to Two Skins outside, then get talking to Lucas. Meant to go home when Matt did (sensible 9:30), instead get involved in conversation, it's 11 PM before I leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment