I skipped running Tuesday night to instead go to my club, where I was meeting the members of the Younger Member's committee, in order that I might join it.
I'd run into a member of the YM committee at the RAC, and told her at the time that I'd really like to become involved. Perhaps in a more unusual move, I actually followed up the next morning, and was delighted when she invited me to come along for drinks after the YM Committee meeting on Tuesday.
It was really interesting to meet people and start to get the inside scoop, like the fact that the YM Chair was completely over-stretched but didn't seem to be willing to delegate things to other people. I was shocked to learn that she was a co-chair of the Inter-Club committee, given that I couldn't recall seeing her at a single Inter-Club event. I can understand how once you are in power, it can be hard to hand over responsibility, but it really seems like something has to change in order for this club to get better.
I wasn't the only one who was there that evening interested in joining the committee as there were two girls as well, one of whom I'd run into before at Inter-Club events. I had actually always been a bit surprised to see her there, as the Inter-Club events are supposed to be for under-35s only, and she looked to me to be pushing 40 or even in her mid-40s. The other girl didn't look quite as old, but definitely up near 40 as well.
So you can imagine my shock when they both claimed to be 32. Only two years older than myself? Or one, even! I just didn't know what to think. I know some people think I look rather young for my age, something I credit to getting plenty of sleep, leading a low-stress lifestyle, and eating well. But the difference here was just staggering, making me realise how important it is that I take care of myself, lest I so quickly start looking like that!
As I was talking with the group at large at the end, somehow it came up that I'd gone to Dartmouth for undergrad, when one of the girls exclaimed, "I'm a Dartmouth '00!" I revealed that I was an '01, and we swapped cards, agreeing to stay in touch about future Dartmouth in London events, as well as those at the O&C.
In the end, it was agreed I would see them all at the next committee meeting. They actually seemed keen on getting new people involved, so I'll have to make an effort to get additional people interested in coming along. After all, I'll get out of it what I put into it, so I figure I should get more involved and make it better!
No comments:
Post a Comment