Thursday, 8 November 2012

Spying on the Internet Date

A while ago, I was talking to The Blonde about how I never do anything with my online dating profile, and so we came up with an idiotic plan where she would take it over, write to boys on my behalf, and all I would have to do would be to go out on the actual dates.  So she had set me up on my first one, with a teacher, who I was supposed to meet at Richmond station this evening.  

You know how sometimes you instantly get a sense of someone?  Like you meet them and within 5 seconds you know if you would sleep with them or not, whether the chemistry is there or not?  I mean, not to be snobbish, but he turned out to be a lot more working-class than I anticipated.  He had this way of constantly saying, "at the end of the day", which made me think of this comedy routine by Michael McIntyre:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YsJ186p17U  (start at 1:30).  Talking about how his brothers didn't really need to go to university for what they do, and how he'd gone from being a fitness instructor to being a teacher.

Overall, just because I'm charming and nice, I guided him through conversation, learning about how he became a teacher (10 and 11 year olds), talking about the research on psychopaths (I've been reading "The Psychopath Test" and he happened to have recently read "The Mask of Sanity"), and debating the merits of football vs rugby (him for the former, myself for the latter).  It was a bit awkward how he kept talking about not having any money, and having never travelled outside of Europe.  Hmmm....

As well, he was noting to me that when dating, men have a tough time of it.  Women's list of requirements for what they are looking for in a man has grown impossibly long, until no guy has a chance of solving all of them.  He said, "I figure I should just be honest, and say that this is who I am, and perhaps some woman will take pity on me some day!"  It made me laugh...

Now, in the midst of all of this, The Blonde and the Tall South African had both been texting me, insisting that I text them back with where we were going.  As the guy had suggested meeting at the Tube station, and then we wandered around to a few pubs before finding one that was open and with seats.  And then of course, I couldn't whip out my phone to say where I was, and I didn't think much of it either.  Although finally when he went to the loo, I dropped them a text to say where I was.  

Turns out, they were in the area, and then came to the pub where I'd said we were, and took seats at the table behind me.  I never turned around, and so had no idea.  And apparently, for the next hour they just sat at the table directly behind me, and observed the whole date (although they said they talked to each other, and didn't listen in on the two of us).  I had no idea about all of this until we got up to leave, and he insisted on walking me back to the Tube station.  And so when I stood up and turned around, there were my friends!  

I totally missed a beat, but hopefully the guy didn't notice, as my back was to him.  No way was I going to let him know my friends had just been spying on us!  So we just walked out of the pub and I let him walk me back to the Tube station, where we said our good-byes (as he had driven that evening).  

I think he had a really nice time, and when he walked me back to the Tube station, he gave me a kiss on each cheek and was even talking about "next time".  And he was a very nice guy.  Objectively, nothing wrong with him.  So how much do I let this go on (do I go on another date with him?) because he's a nice individual and pleasant company, even though I can't really see us having much in common for the long term?  I'm just so damn nice to everyone, I have no idea how to handle things when people aren't obviously rude or give you a reason to dislike them.  This is really where I suck at dating.  

Of course, once he had left me, I called The Blonde and the Tall South African and they told me to come back to the pub and join them.  What nutters.  Stayed chatting with them for a bit, before finally we went off home, and I begged off early, as they wanted to drag me out for more fun.

So now, while I know that this guy is not the love of my life, that I would get bored with him very quickly, it wouldn't be the worst thing ever to spend a few evenings with him or even kiss him (he was rather easy on the eyes).  I almost feel like to cut it off at this point would be to leave the poor guy confused about how yet again, he'd gone out and been the same lovely guy he always is, and yet it didn't work due to the impossible requirements women have that they can't even really articulate.   

Although, we'll have to see if he even asks me out on a second date.  He's a guy, and they can be lame like that sometimes.  (Qatari Boy being case in point!)  In which case, if he doesn't ask....problem solved!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment