This had all been done as a contest among my personal trainer's various clients, and apparently the previous best time was 6:27. So I win on that one, although the downside now is that this was a "starting benchmark", she wants to test us all again in 3 weeks to see if we can beat our previous times. So now I've set myself with 6:11 as the time I have to beat!!
Although I was rowing so hard, there was definitely a point where I felt like I just couldn't quite get sufficient oxygen into my lungs. Just gasping, everything I tried couldn't seem to get enough oxygen back to me. I can't remember ever feeling like that, even when rowing regularly. Maybe because I was more in shape then.
I had arranged with Sophie that we would meet at the club this evening for some catch-up drinks, since we sadly had to pass on playing squash together this past Monday. We'd agreed to meet at 8:15, so by 8 PM I made it to the club, where I ran into The Chap at the bar. We then ended up chatting quite a bit, he bought me a drink, and I let him use my membership card to place a dinner order. Unusual, because the two of us almost never spend that much time in one-on-one conversation.
He invited me to come join the boys at a table outside, and so I did so, although it was cold and chilly out there. I survived for a little while, but when Sophie arrived, I took the excuse of going in to order dinner with her as a good reason to get in out of the cold!
We both decided to order dinner, and then I had a good time with her at the bar, just chatting and catching up on gossip. She didn't have much to share, but I was able to catch her up on the complicated story of the Tall South African and The Blonde, the rumours of sudden engagements and affairs, and just the usual comedy show of my own dating life.
What I love about catching up with Sophie is that she is so much like me, it almost scares me, but it's great to be able to talk to someone who so understands my life. For instance, at one point as we were dealing with yet more people coming over to say hello to one or both of us, I confessed that I often didn't know the names of half the people who seemed to know me so well, a failing she similarly admitted to having. And I asked her, "Do you sometimes get the feeling that you are often among someone's 'best friends', while you might consider them no more than an acquaintance?" She admitted this was definitely true for her, which relieved me of much of the guilt I feel about this. After all, I'm good at talking to people, being social, and staying in touch. Alas, my ability to be supportive of others doesn't really mean they know me at all. It takes someone like Sophie to truly get that.
Although I was rowing so hard, there was definitely a point where I felt like I just couldn't quite get sufficient oxygen into my lungs. Just gasping, everything I tried couldn't seem to get enough oxygen back to me. I can't remember ever feeling like that, even when rowing regularly. Maybe because I was more in shape then.
I had arranged with Sophie that we would meet at the club this evening for some catch-up drinks, since we sadly had to pass on playing squash together this past Monday. We'd agreed to meet at 8:15, so by 8 PM I made it to the club, where I ran into The Chap at the bar. We then ended up chatting quite a bit, he bought me a drink, and I let him use my membership card to place a dinner order. Unusual, because the two of us almost never spend that much time in one-on-one conversation.
He invited me to come join the boys at a table outside, and so I did so, although it was cold and chilly out there. I survived for a little while, but when Sophie arrived, I took the excuse of going in to order dinner with her as a good reason to get in out of the cold!
We both decided to order dinner, and then I had a good time with her at the bar, just chatting and catching up on gossip. She didn't have much to share, but I was able to catch her up on the complicated story of the Tall South African and The Blonde, the rumours of sudden engagements and affairs, and just the usual comedy show of my own dating life.
What I love about catching up with Sophie is that she is so much like me, it almost scares me, but it's great to be able to talk to someone who so understands my life. For instance, at one point as we were dealing with yet more people coming over to say hello to one or both of us, I confessed that I often didn't know the names of half the people who seemed to know me so well, a failing she similarly admitted to having. And I asked her, "Do you sometimes get the feeling that you are often among someone's 'best friends', while you might consider them no more than an acquaintance?" She admitted this was definitely true for her, which relieved me of much of the guilt I feel about this. After all, I'm good at talking to people, being social, and staying in touch. Alas, my ability to be supportive of others doesn't really mean they know me at all. It takes someone like Sophie to truly get that.
At one point, the boys came back into the bar, and The Chap related a hilarious story of how the staff were trying to figure out where to deliver his dinner order. Apparently when looking for the order, they scanned which card it had been put on, and my name came up, but the staff member looking at my name didn't know who I was. And apparently some other guy at the bar made a motion suggesting my rather large chest, which caused the staff to nod in instant recognition, they knew exactly who I was. The story made me laugh my head off, although a bit concerned that this is how the staff know me!
Despite the entreaties of the boys to come join them at the Saville, Sophie and I resisted, and just stayed at the bar with out dinners, gossiping with each other. Until finally at 11:30 we decided to head home, perhaps one of the earliest nights out I've ever had with Sophie!
No comments:
Post a Comment