Thursday, 15 November 2012

Moveable Feast

This evening was the Inter-Club Moveable Feast at the Lansdowne, where the men would move places after each course, and the women would stay seated.  As a result, everyone gets to talk to new people all evening long.

When I arrived, after I hung up my coat, the American arrived shortly after I did.  I was a bit surprised when he warmly greeted me and stayed talking with me out in the lobby, waiting to hang up his own coat to spend more time with me.  We've always remained friendly, so I didn't think too much of it, until throughout the course of the evening he always seemed to be catching my eye, almost asking a question in his glance each time.  "Once more?"  No, thank you darling.  You might be good-looking and make me laugh, but you're still a manwhore.  Always best kept a bit at arms length!

I'd nearly bumped into a rather cute guy while hanging up my coat, so I found a way to go talk to him, and he turned out to be a German guy who was part of my own club, and who had even gone to Balliol.  He did maths and now lived in Winsdor, working for a trading fund up there.  Apparently we had even been at the same drinks in the SCR of Balliol last weekend, but I couldn't believe I didn't remember him.  Charming and good-looking, if slightly nerdy and awkward, but yet I still made sure to message him on Facebook as soon as I got home.  Who knows if he will turn out to be horribly awkward and German, but I do rather hope I get to see him again.  I was intrigued, at least...
The rotating tables
Alas, I wasn't going to get to speak with him this evening, as it was time to go into dinner.  I greeted the Young Dutchman briefly (my sweet!), and we promised to catch up later, as for now he was off to his own place for dinner.  Right, time to start the meeting of random people.

The seating plan was unfortunately done, as the person doing the arranging had started nearly all of the people from the O and C together, which meant we were all seated with people we already knew.  I found myself next to a totally tedious married guy with a moustache who I know, and on the other side the guy wasn't much interesting either.  In truth, I probably spent more of the meal exchanging mouthed words, jokes and glances with the American, who was seated three people away from me (i.e. too far to actually talk, but close enough to catch each other's eye and laugh).  Probably would have been nicer for the people seated inbetween us if we'd just been sat together, but alas...perhaps wise still to have some distance from him!
Second course
After that course finally finished, I found myself seated inbetween the guy who had previously been across from me (and so who I had already spent much of the evening talking to), and the YM's chair of the Lansdowne.  Again, nothing too interesting in terms of conversation, but it was a survivable course.

At the third course, I finally found myself seated next to a good-looking chap, who turned out to work for Marks and Spencer.  Perhaps not quite my intellectual equal, but finally at least someone easy on the eyes who I found entertaining through dessert.  And I'd had enough wine at this point to be inured to boring conversation anyway.
Third course
Finally with the meal at its end, the Young Dutchman tapped me on the shoulder and indicated that we should go through for drinks in the bar.  Indeed, the last course boy was cute, but I was tipsy at this point and losing focus.  Time to go to the bar indeed.

When we got to the bar, I was delighted by the arrival of one of my absolute favourite guys to see, the Italian Guy!  And he arrived with some good news to celebrate, as just today he had been promoted to being a Managing Director at Goldman Sachs.  I was really happy for him, as I know he works hard, and I'm sure this was a promotion well-deserved.  He got a bottle of champagne and shared it around, and we all toasted his success.  It was funny, as we got to talking, I remembered that the first time I'd ever met him, I learned he didn't like garlic, which I thought was surprising for an Italian guy and his one failing.  Very funny, as the guy couldn't believe that was the one thing I remembered about him, but the truth is I really thought it was his one fault (maybe that and the smoking).
With Kellogg Boy and the hideous moustache
Kellogg Boy also arrived at this point, who I was delighted to see.  I'd been chatting to him all day as he made a journey from Norfolk down to London, and so it was just fun to get to see him after talking to him all day long.  Of course, between the wine at dinner (trying to make the people around me more interesting), and the champagne toasts to the Italian Guy's promotion, I was definitely getting tipsy.  Which probably explains why I ended up getting my photo taken planting a kiss on Kellogg Boy.  I'm sure his girlfriend won't mind, but definitely one of the more ill-advised photos of me to ever make it onto the internet...
Who would kiss a boy with a moustache like that one?
I then for some reason got volunteered by Super Social Scottish Guy to take these two random guys on a tour of the club.  Very odd and strange, and given how little I know the Lansdowne compared to the O and C, was a bit of a random tour (particularly as the sports centre was closed).  In retrospect, it was probably because one of them liked me and wanted to be alone with me, but I totally didn't pick up on that at the time.
With the guys I gave a tour to
Finally back in the bar, I spent some more time talking to Kellogg Boy and the Young Dutchman, the German guy from Balliol came and said good-bye to me, and I just spent some more time with everyone toasting the Italian Guy's promotion.  The American was still around too, although at this point, realising I wasn't interested in playing this evening, had gone on to focus on something else blonde and shiny.
In the bar
At last I realised I'd better catch a night bus home, and for some reason also decided to start sending messages to Qatari Boy.  (Luckily the next day he found it all funny and talked to me for quite a bit, although in retrospect I probably shouldn't have).  Finally got home at 2:30 AM after too much wine, a good reminder to remember a bit more moderation next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment