Saturday, 21 July 2012

Olympics Party

 This evening, I went to a house party at the flat of a French girl I know.  The theme was "Olympics", and everyone had to come dressed in a costume of an Olympic sport.  Our hostess had even sent out the official listing of sports, to make sure we all got one on the list!  I debated what to wear for a while, as while I still had the equestrian stick pony from when I went to the hash X-mas party, I didn't want to do a full equestrian get-up.  I finally compromised by dressing as an Eventing rider, dressing in white jeans and boots, but with a tank top and making a tied on number out of a plastic bag.  Hopefully a good costume!

 When I arrived, of 30ish people at the party, it turned out that myself and the Young Scotsman were the only two whose native language was English.  Even the Young Scotsman was better off than I was, because he lived in France for a while and could at least understand everyone's conversations.  Given my own lack of French-speaking ability, I spent a lot of time just chatting with the Young Scotsman, talking about our friends (he's frustrated with his flatmate, the former Head of Inter-Club, because he's such a nice guy, but so incompetent with women), and surprises among them (Piers has a girlfriend!)  He also related the tale of how the previous head of the O&C YM's Comittee had apparently propositioned him at Henley (a straight up no-strings-attached proposal), which had totally freaked him out.  He was really almost angry about it, and I didn't know quite what to say.  I think what irritates him is that despite some of his more playboy tendencies at times, he doesn't see himself as THAT kind of guy, and resents any implication that he is.  Indeed, he's really a bit of a romantic at heart, a classic reminder that "boys have feelings too!"  
 
We also ended up talking about Drunk Girl for a bit (remember her?) and how many men she's slept with, discovering a few more as we chatted to each other.  Yet, as he said, "She's calmed down a lot more now, but the damage has been done."  Indeed, whilst a man's reputation might recover from sleeping with that many women, for a girl the rules are just different.  And I almost feel bad for her, having made so many mistakes that just can't be undone. 
I found myself chatting with some French people after a while, but after struggling with the difference between French and English, one guy surprised me by just switching over to speaking Spanish.  Surprisingly, that was much easier for both of us, leading the guy to ask me if my native language was Spanish!  No, but quite the pat on the back to think that my Spanish was good enough to fool him...  
Great party, although I didn't leave until 2:30 AM.  As I was leaving, I noted I had a text from the Tall South African saying that he might be in London the next day, and would like to see me.   How sweet!  Hoping that works out...

Then I decided to walk for a bit before catching a cab, and surprised myself by walking all of the way back to my flat.  Took almost 45 minutes, but it was a good way to walk off the evening.  What a fun night out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment