This evening was my friend Melissa's birthday drinks, which were being held at a champagne bar in Soho.
When I arrived, on the street I ran into my friend Gerald and his friend Mike, who were already pretty drunk, having been out at another party with some work mates earlier on in the evening. We wandered around on the street a bit, trying to find the front door to the place, while Mike took quite a liking to me, and kept asking me questions while being all a bit touchy-feely. Not a bad-looking guy, so I didn't mind too much, but we were obviously in very different states in our level of consumed libations!
We found our way in, greeted the birthday girl, grabbed seats, and then Mike introduced himself to me again as though we hadn't previously met. That cracked me up, and he explained that it was me taking off my coat which had done it, but I concluded that as cute as he was, Mike wasn't going to be much use for the rest of the evening...
I made random bits of conversation with people here and there, but was relieved when Tory Lawyer Boy arrived, as he's one of my favourite people and so much fun to talk to.
He had me quite bemused when he related the story of how a mutual acquaintance of ours had recently broken up with her boyfriend, and then had been treating her male friends (including Tory Lawyer Boy) like boyfriends, people who she could make demands of. This included when he recently couldn't make it to an event she was organising, telling him how "disappointed she was in him", not realising that you can't expect the same level of devotion from your male friends as from your boyfriend. I know she broke up with the boyfriend, but there is a part of me that is still amazed that she managed to hang onto him for so long.
Finally I left right before midnight, trying to make it out to a local burrito place before it closed, but it turned out it actually closed at 11 PM and I was too late anyway. Still, I was glad I'd used the excuse of rushing to get there to force my way out, and hence just went the rest of the way home to get food, as I was starving!
No comments:
Post a Comment