Thursday, 19 April 2012

Meeting with the Chairman

I woke in the morning to more texts from the Tall South African. He was tired, and so was I. How on earth are we supposed to survive our work days?

Still, made it through to the end of the day, where I'd agreed to meet the club chairman to have a talk about the Younger Member's Committee, the General Committee, and the upcoming year.  And I will admit, I'd agreed to meet him on this day because Doro had suggested that the "Oxford Mafia" would be there that evening, and it might be a good opportunity to "run into" the Magnetic Man.

I met the Chairman in the Committee Room, which was somewhere I'd never been before, and we had some tea and a very nice meeting where he spent most of the time trying to convince me that I needed to join the General Committee.  I'd really been meeting him to ask a bit about transitioning the Younger Member's Committee for the next year, but so you have it, there was the word on the General Committee too.

After I'd wrapped things up with the Chairman, I poked my head into the bar, where I spotted Magnetic Man and one other from the Oxford Maifa, and they graciously invited me to join them for drinks (as I rather knew they would). We were joined by 4 others, including JP, a chap I had once known from Magdalene.  Of course, the boys had some other funny nickname for him, and mocked me for calling him JP.  I think that might have been the first time I've seen him since Cambridge, but he still recognised me, which I thought was nice, and even bought me champagne.

Lot of talk about golf, although fun to hang out with the boys.  Magnetic Man continues to show no interest whatsoever, but I still like hanging out with the gang anyway. Even if he's not interested, he's still a nice guy, and so are his friends.  I did have a really fun time getting to know a married guy named Piers, who seemed to continue the general trend of the boys of that group (if not that of Magnetic Man himself), that I am a fantastic individual and one they'd like to see more of.  Such a pity Magnetic Man isn't more interesting, however!

Finally the boys headed into dinner, and I went downstairs to print out a few forms and chat online a bit with the Young Dutchman.  Once assured that he was well and didn't need me to stop by with any printouts, I made my way home, quite satisfied with my accomplishments for the evening.  

No comments:

Post a Comment