Tuesday, 3 April 2012

Dinner with Michelle and David


When he texted me at lunchtime, I gave the Tall South African a call to chat. It was just good to catch up with him, as I always like talking to him. He was coming down to London this evening to meet a friend he hadn't seen in a while for a catch-up dinner, so we talked a bit about that...

But of course then, I was caught by surprise when he called me again after work, wanting to chat again. Twice in one day? I always love to talk to him, but I was due to meet a couple of friends I know through the Young Dutchman for dinner. (The Young Dutchman had been teasing us all about how we didn't get together on our own now that he's in Oxford, so we were attempting to prove that we could organise our own social lives without him).

Still, I'm just never quite able to say no to that boy, and so I kept chatting to him, even as I was also simultaneously trying to answer a request from my lawyers. Out of the blue, they'd asked me to write up a justification for every single business trip I'd taken in the past five years, and what the financial impact to the company would have been had I not gone. Ummm...are you kidding? What company knows that?

So I desperately was trying to scramble something together for my boss to review before heading out to dinner, and now the Tall South African was calling, and I soooooo wanted to talk to him (it's so much more fun than work!) and now I was late for dinner too.

Finally he hung up in his own time (although perhaps he did get the sense that I was desperate to get off the phone), I quickly sent the e-mail, and then raced down the street, where by some miracle there happened to be an available cab coming along. Sometimes the universe does seem to have your back...

When I arrived, the female half of the couple was already there, and I'd arrived at just the same time as the male half. Perfect timing!

Overall it was a great dinner, just one of those great evenings with fantastic food (I actually asked for a doggie bag), and good company, where we chatted about everything from immigration to start-up cloud companies. I also learned a bit about how they'd gotten together, although as it's apparently still a somewhat contentious issue, I rather wished I hadn't!

The girl then asked about the Tall South African, saying that when we'd been at the club last Friday, she'd not realised there was anything between us until right at the very end of the evening, when he'd placed a subtle hand on my back and announced that "we" were leaving. I laughed at how observant she was.

And then, almost on cue, the Tall South African texted. "Home time. **yawn**" To which the girl grabbed my phone and replied to him, "You're a wimp, it's early. Love, [the couple], (friends of hers)."

This then led to quite a sequence of back-and-forth texting between the girl and the Tall South African, until he finally concluded with, "Haha well next time we head out I expect them to join us :p"

Kind of funny, as it really made us sound like much more of a couple than we are. But then again, half the time I don't really know what's going on with us anyway.

Finally, we reached the end of our amazing meal, and it was time to head home. It had started raining and I'd forgotten my umbrella in my mad dash out of the house, but I figured I would make it home soon anyway. Kind of funny though, as we stood outside the restaurant, we'd had such a great time, that we kept standing there in the rain, chatting, not quite wanting it all to end.

Finally we did have to go our separate ways however, so I sent the Tall South African one last text, caught just the right bus that goes all of the way up near my flat, and headed home, with a reminder to bring my umbrella next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment