Saturday, 10 March 2012

Lotte's Spring Party


This evening was Lotte's spring party, which I'd been looking forward to for a while. The theme was a "Mad Hatter's Party", although in the end I just wore a hairband instead of a hat, as I didn't want to have to keep track of a hat all evening. The evening started at 7, but despite trying to take some time to get ready, I was nowhere near ready by that time, and so at 8 I called a cab to get there at a reasonable hour.

When I arrived, I realised I need not have worried about arriving so late, although a lot of people did have hats. Perhaps I should have gone for one after all.

The Tall South African was not in evidence at all, so I spent a lot of time talking to Jesse, a guy I knew through the Young Dutchman, who had also grown up in Texas. He was therefore wearing a cowboy hat, and introduced me to his sister, who had come up from university for the party. Good to talk to someone I knew, and I learned that he'd been working for the past few months with Lotte's fiancee, which explained his familiarity with this crowd.

More people arrived and I ended up chatting to tons of random folks, got trapped in the kitchen for a little bit, and around 11 PM got a text from the Tall South African. So apparently he was planning on showing up eventually... I assured him that booze and hats were not needed (as I'd brought a bottle of wine despite only being able to drink water, and obviously was doing without the hat!), and hoped I'd see him soon. I have to admit, the lack of drinking at least made getting refills easy, as all I had to do was return to the tap in the kitchen sink.

Finally the Tall South African did arrive, and so I tried to talk to him for a bit, but we both continually seemed to be dragged off into opposite directions by people wanting to say hello to us. I got trapped outside for a while, and it was only when I was absolutely frozen that I managed to return indoors and catch the Tall South African. Very sweet, when I complained of being cold, he wrapped me up in his arms, and just held on to me for a while, strong and reassuring. And kind of the only way we could have any sort of a conversation, without other people dragging us off away from each other!

Yet too quickly we did get dragged off again (oh well!) and I lost track of him while I talked with some rather cute guys indoors. One guy was talking to me about being an American and moving to London, and he said at one point, "If you've fallen in with this lot, you've really landed on your feet." It struck me as such an odd thing to say. But I suppose I sometimes don't realise how strange it is that all of my friends are generally those from the "upper classes" of London society, but they are my dear friends who I get along with well and whose company I enjoy. I have no idea why people always assume that "posh" people will be unfriendly, but this guy just seemed startled that he was at this party in the first place. Kind of a shame therefore, as he was cute, but also laying his insecurities out first thing.

The Tall South African came and found me, and we did manage to chat for a little bit, before then the old man who owns Lotte's house came down and sat on the couch (I'm always amused at how these parties are such a mix of age ranges), and so then the Tall South African introduced me and got me chatting to him. Nice to make the introductions, and good to actually get some time to chat with the Tall South African (who I like, always treats me as the other person he's with in conversations), but then it was difficult to get out of talking to the older chap and once again, the Tall South African and I got split up again.

I then found myself back outside for a while, where I was surprised to be greeted by the Scottish brother of a friend of mine. Really nice guy (and rather cute too!) although I didn't recognise him at all at first, as he had this Moroccan head dress on. But then we got to chatting, and he introduced me to his friends, one of whom was a rather cute, nice, interesting doctor. Admittedly, a guy who sounded a bit stressed about having to move into the doctor's quarters at the hospital, but still it's always nice to meet a doctor who therefore is obviously somewhat intelligent.

I liked that guy and really had a lot of fun talking to him, but then I got dragged inside by Sophie wanting to dance. So got dragged into the dance party for a while, but now I was really starting to feel the effects of being sober, and I hadn't seen the Tall South African in a bit. Went out to go find him, but there was no sign of him at the party. What on earth? I'd figured he would tell me if he'd left, but there was no sign of him, so it being 2:30 AM, I just decided to catch a cab and head home.

I texted him from in the cab, and got an answer as to where he was: Maggie's, the 80's nightclub. Apparently he'd gotten dragged there with the Blonde Dutchman and Duncan, and then abandoned. He tried to convince me to come back to the party, with promises that he would see me back there shortly, but I'm no fool to run around, catering to a boy's whims when he snaps his fingers. So told him that he could come crash at mine if he wanted to, but I was heading home.

Got home and had just fallen into bed, when my phone rang. It was the Tall South African, now moaning that he was back at the party and I wasn't there. {Sigh!} Yes, but if you hadn't run off without telling me where you were going, we wouldn't be in this situation, now would we? He mentioned that he could jump in a cab and come to my place, and have some more fun with me there, which surprised me a bit as he normally stays away from mentioning any funny business with me when we chat anymore. But then again, he'd been drinking... I told him he was free to do whatever he wanted, and I would absolutely let him in if he decided to come stay with me, but I was going to bed. So hung up on him and went to sleep, pretty sure that I'd probably heard the last of my indecisive boy, at least for this evening. I adore him, but I can only indulge him so much. Time for me to get some sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment