Sunday, 19 December 2010

Mulled Wine and Mince Pies

When I went to the Christmas Carol service last Sunday, there were quite a few Inter-Club members there. One of them was this girl Siobhán, who I knew vaguely from a few events, but I'd never really made her acquaintance. Still, at that carol service, she invited me to a mulled wine and mince pie party she was having the following Sunday, so this afternoon I braved the London snow and trekked out to the party.

It turned out that I was the first one to arrive at 2:30 (and here I thought I would have been sufficiently late to a party due to begin at 2 PM!) but luckily we were soon joined by another one of her friends, with the majority of the crowd arriving at 3 PM. It was largely people I recognized from the Inter-Club scene, although with a few of Siobhán's friends mixed in.

Gordon and Veronica had been out for a walk that morning. Maybe I was off with Melissa and Gordon, and it's actually Veronica? But as we talked, it seemed Gordon and Dave have only ever had long-distance girlfriends. Maybe they're the types who are really just too shy to ask girls out, and instead have tons of female friends? Seriously, there are times where I just don't understand how we can be such a mixed group and so little dating goes on.

Siobhán and I got to talking at one point about opera and music, and somehow some comment of mine led her to ask, completely startled, "You're single?" I confessed that I was, and she absolutely stuttered, "But you're beautiful and charming and curvaceous and witty and all the boys love you!!" Well, thank you for that assessment, and I had to confess to her that I seemed to have far too many male friends for a single girl, as I definitely get the impression that I might be missing something. But of course, while I know why people say this, it does imply that, "Wow, if you can be this good-looking and still single, you must be a real royal screw-up!"

I found myself later in a conversation talking to Gordon, David, and Simon. It was an interesting conversation, with lots of debate about student tuition fees. Interesting intellectual discussion, what I've often missed lately.

As it was getting late, we ordered pizza so everyone could have some dinner, and finally, hours after I'd first arrived, the Jones twins walked me back to the Tube. Fun evening, a cozy day inside buffered against the cold outside...

No comments:

Post a Comment