Thursday, 4 November 2010

One More Day in the Office


In the morning I got up, packed the last of my stuff, and raced downstairs to check out. In the time I had before my boss was due to stop by and pick me up, I wolfed down some breakfast, although mostly ate the rest of the pumpkin pie I'd picked up at the grocery store the night before (my favourite breakfast!) I thought about trying to eat the rest of the mac and cheese, but it was too cold to eat so early in the morning.

At the appointed time, my boss wasn't in the lobby, so I went outside, and hence was ready and waiting for him right when he pulled up, so he didn't even have to get out of the car.

At the office, I really actually got a lot of work done, mostly trying to finish a presentation for a call with a UK colleague that I was due to have in the morning (when I had absolutely no sleep after a red-eye flight). The one bit of non-work I got done was when the one cool guy in the office about my age turned out to want to be friends on Facebook. Dithered about accepting, but finally decided to go ahead and take the risk.

I went out with everyone to Chipotle's for lunch, where I found it funny to be sitting around with the Senior Executive in charge of the team and all of the middle-aged suburban guys who work there. Great burrito, but once again made me realise how weird the team is.

Finally it was time for me to go catch my ride to the airport, although I had to wait for Crazy Lady to come give me a hug, continuing our fake sense of getting along even though she drives me batty. Sometimes we have to put on appearances, however...

I arrived for my ride, where I found that instead of a usual town car, they'd actually sent a limo for me. So I basically had a 10-person limo just for me to ride in, all by myself. Complete with pink disco lights, so it was like a hen party for one. How weird is that!


I made it to the airport, made it through security, and then continued to work on the presentation that I needed to give in the morning.

I boarded the plane, getting on easily (how I love my pre-boarding!), and just as I thought I might not have a seatmate, was joined by a guy from Deli who couldn't find room for his backpack. But because I'm such a genius space squeezer (and more experienced flier), I took it from him and got it up there. Some days I love being such a frequent flier.

I spoke with him for a bit, having a reasonable conversation but nothing that was going to entertain me for the entire flight, so settled back to watch some movies. It turns out I'd already watched everything of interest, so I re-watched "Salt", and then saw some more of "Temple Grandin", before finally just settling back to try and get some sleep, as it was another day of work tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment