Saturday, 19 September 2009

The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

When I was little, there was a book that was very popular, called "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day". Although when leading such an overly blessed life, I hesitate to say that I have really bad days, perhaps I can be allowed to call today such a day.

First thing was that I had to have my "official" conversation with HR today for them to tell me I was losing my job. And although I knew this was coming and I tried to joke and laugh my way through it, somehow having the conversation and actually receiving the formal notice letter made it all somehow seem more REAL.

Then I had the second tough part: Telling my team in Buenos Aires the news. And you have to understand, I LOVE my team in Buenos Aires. I have flown halfway around the world to be at their weddings. I have lived with their families. These are not just my co-workers, they are my friends. And so I got on the phone, and for the first time in all of this, my voice started wavering and cracking, it really took a lot to not break down right there on the phone. Because somehow, while I can wrap my head around the idea of getting another position at Accenture, or even leaving Accenture, I just can't quite imagine not logging onto my computer and hearing the familiar greeting of "Buen dia!" popping up from Argentina.

Then I struggled through pulling together my CV, basically trying to figure out what on earth I've done with myself for the past four years, trying to write this thing whilst dealing with people constantly popping up on IM to say they'd heard the news, or ask where my CV was. Damn people, if you'd stop interrupting me, I'd get it to you!

But at least, I figured that if I could just survive this terrible, awful day, at the end of it I had FINALLY scheduled drinks with the young man I'd met at my friend's birthday party a month ago. So you can imagine how my heart sank when I got a text from him and it said, "Hi Adrian! Don't kill me okay, but I have to rain check tonight - have gone home from work ill. I'm totally kicking myself but I must rest up. How would Monday be?" Okay, so he rescheduled, so maybe he really IS just sick and is bummed to cancel, but of course leads to rounds of recrimination and self-doubt. (I'm not really in the best state of mind at the moment). I am only female, after all, and we respond to our lack of understanding of male behaviour by over-analyzing everything they do.

And on top of it all, my HR Rep will undoubtedly think I wore mascara today just for my conversation with her to be officially informed that I was being laid off. I hope that doesn't come across as weird.

Finally finished up my CV and escaped the office at 11 PM. What a rotten day, but at last it was finally over!

No comments:

Post a Comment