
I woke at around 8 AM, finally unable to sleep any longer on my uncomfortable youth-hostel mattress. (The mattress was so old and worn, it permanently dipped in the middle, so no matter what position I tried to sleep in, I was always returned to the hammock-like center, unable to ever quite get comfortable). It didn't look like any of the other girls would be up for a while yet, so I dressed and slipped out downstairs to breakfast.
Had a decent breakfast, then everybody else finally got up, and we headed out for our morning run around Salisbury. A couple of folks were too hung over to contemplate running, and most of us did the run at a gentle walk/jog pace anyway. I was glad I went though, as we passed by some really lovely scenery, continually crossed rivers with water so startlingly clear it was amazing (quite different from the muddy Thames!) until we finally jogged through some sheep pastures and right up to the famed Salisbury Cathedral.
As it was a Sunday morning, church service was just ending when we arrived, so we poked our heads in, and then took a wander around the cloisters. Then came back outside and just sat out in the grass for a while, everyone piled on top of everyone else, using each other's stomachs as pillows. The boy whose stomach I was resting on told me that when I laughed, it was like I was a vibrating massage machine, which only made me laugh more. It really was just a wonderful way to spend a day, lying out in the grass in the sunshine, perfectly exhausted and content after a wonderful weekend with friends.
We returned to the youth hostel for some lunch and just to hang out for a while, before finally everyone started to depart. I was surprised at how many people had gotten there by means of transport other than the train, so it was really just me and this girl Sarah who ended up walking back to the train together.
Of course, that was fine with me, as Sarah is one of my favourite people. Although she's one of those friends where upon meeting her I decided I liked her, but only subsequently have I actually been getting to know her. I never quite understand how that mysterious chemistry works with some people, where you just "click" right from the start, before you even know each other at all. And weirdly, I think she feels the same way about me, always just pulling me into pictures with her, asking me for favours and if she can do anything for me...just that connection you have with people who are your friends. How does that work?
On the train ride home, we talked quite a bit about her relationship with her boyfriend, a guy four years her junior who is in the Army and currently in Afghanistan. And it's one of the mysteries about Sarah that I'm still trying to figure out, as she comes off as the sweetest and most wholesome girl you will ever meet, yet can drink like a fish and is dating a guy I think for the most part because he's incredibly physically attractive. (I've met her boyfriend, and honestly I don't blame her. The guy is HOT). Yet she misses him and worries about him, and I think at times the long-distance thing does take its toll on her.
Finally, I reached my station (the closer one this time!), promised Sarah I would e-mail her the next day, and came home and crashed!
No comments:
Post a Comment