I didn't do anything on Saturday beyond meet up with the Tall South African for coffee and then go to the gym. The Tall South African had been in Italy on vacation this past week, and had finally returned and wanted to see me. It was funny, because when I met him at the coffee shop, he immediately greeted me with a genuine, "You know? I really missed you." I had to laugh and smile, because as nuts as he makes me sometimes, I had really missed him too while he was gone.
Of course, he's up to his old tricks, hooking up with a stewardess on the flight on the way home (he left the details vague, saying it would be un-gentlemanly to say too much, but yet, "I'm not quite sure what the technical definition of joining the mile-high club is, but I'd definitely say I have a shot at membership after that flight". Oh boy... Although it makes me wonder, who are these women who will do things like that, on public flights, with men they have just met?
I was supposed to meet him at a party later that evening, but I just couldn't be bothered to go, which is how I got a phone call from him in the morning on the train back home. Which, given that he'd been supposed to return home the night before meant he'd found a reason to stay in London overnight (and a place to stay). I was endlessly amused as he talked about the girl he'd hooked up with (who due to her religious values had at least managed to stay somewhat well-behaved), and his plans to potentially see her again.
At least this one has a personality, which is a funny new discovery he's been making lately, that girls need to have personalities for him to be attracted to them. Which as he points out, is not entirely a good thing. As he said, "It used to be that as long as a girl was fit, I was good to go. But now that's not entirely it anymore. For instance, I ran into another girl I'd hooked up with a bunch recently last night, and then realised...she's incredibly annoying! No way I can stand her now!" Ah, all part of growing up, I suppose.
I eventually had to beg off with him as I was running late to meet Sweetheart, which made him ask me what was going on between the two of us. I told him honestly that there was nothing, that our relationship was incredibly platonic, almost to the point that it was slightly discouraging. I mean, Sweetheart has slept with so many women that he's lost count, and yet he's always such a perfect gentleman with me. And I know why, it would ruin our friendship if we hooked up, and yet still... It shows you how much the Tall South African was curious however, as he never asks about my personal life. Mostly because he's just too self-centred, but I'm not sure I want to encourage any further interest in knowing what's going on with me.
When I got to the bar where I was due to meet Sweetheart, I was surprised to find that it was closed up tight, as though it were completely out of business. As I pulled out my phone to call him about this, I saw that I had a few texts from him about this. I called him anyway, and he directed me to a second location, the W Hotel in Leicester Square, to their bar on the first floor.
I got there, spotted him as I walked down the hallway, and greeted him with a solid kiss on the lips as I said hello. Yeah, we're platonic, but we've still got that at least.
The venue was kind of cool, although the drinks, at £12.80 a pop, did make my eyes water. We were joined by a few other Americans who Sweetheart had apparently met the previous night at a University of California reunion drinks thing. A few nice girls, and a good-looking black guy who I took notice of from across the table, but since he'd arrived with another girl I assumed they were a couple, and didn't think much more of it, even though I noticed him catch my eye as we sat across the table from each other.
I did have a neat experience when as we were all sitting having our drinks, across the bar I spotted a guy who looked kind of familiar. He looked a lot like a guy I'd gone to college with, who I now know lives in California and works for Google. I kept doing double-takes, trying to figure out if it was really him, until finally my curiosity overcame me and I went over to say hello. It was him indeed! We sat and chatted for a little while and it was great to catch up, and just cool the way that you can run into people you know all over the world like that...
Sweetheart then came and found me to say that we needed to settle our bill and get going to the show we were attending, a comedy performance by an American comedian about being an American living in London. That had been the impetus behind this entire day actually, this idea that we would have an "America Day" to do all sorts of American things in London. So we took our crowd of Americans and headed to the theatre for the show.
When we arrived, the girl who'd arrived with the black guy left, making me realise that they had just randomly arrived together, and didn't actually know each other at all. I then would have liked to have sat with him to get to know him better, but in the end I just ended up sitting with Sweetheart, not a bad second choice.
The show started badly, with most of the laughs being the awkward laughs you give someone who is bombing spectacularly, but in the second half it improved somewhat. The guy definitely needs to work on his act, however. Not quite sure if it was £10 worth of entertainment, but overall it did give us a few laughs.
We then went out to the Sports Cafe for dinner and to watch the NCAA "March Madness" tournament. I was starving at this point, and could hardly wait to eat. I found myself sitting next to the attractive black guy, who turned out to be really interesting. He grew up speaking Czech as his first language, he has 7 siblings (only one full brother, and then his parents divorced and re-married and had more kids each). One side of the family now lives in Paris, and throughout his life he's lived in Paris, Hong Kong, and Africa. Overall, it was a really enjoyable conversation and we exchanged numbers at the end of the evening, although that was mostly because everybody was at this point. In truth, I got the sense that he was much more into the girl who he'd been sitting with at the comedy show, as he spent a lot more time making sure he got her number right.
In truth, I realised that although he was enjoyable company, I wasn't that into him, but I more wanted him to be into me just for the self-confidence boost, to prove that I could be attractive to men. I really feel like I just haven't been getting any attention lately. So he was 27 and had a kind of loud, funny laugh, and I probably wouldn't have been that interested in him long-term, but it was still a bit discouraging to be passed over. The ego sometimes needs a boost, you know?
As the entire group was saying good-bye to each other outside, Sweetheart gave me a kiss on the lips to say good-bye, and the attractive black guy suddenly exclaimed aloud to the assembled masses, "Hey, you two just kissed each other on the lips as well!" Which a comment from the other girl revealed that he had tried to kiss her on the lips to say good-bye, but she had ducked him and kissed him on the cheek. And so now he was pointing out that other people do kiss each other on the lips to say good-bye. Then again, we understand each other a lot better about this than other people who have just met. Ah well, this is why it will always be Sweetheart at the end of the day...

No comments:
Post a Comment