Wednesday, 6 April 2011

Sherry Tasting

I arrived in a rush, as I'd been struggling to get off conference calls before I was due to come to the event. Hence, when I arrived, although I wasn't late, I was thrust right into the sherry tasting and there wasn't any time to socialize with people.

As I stood there, slightly bored, I scouted the room, and there really wasn't much in the way of talent. I mean, I know there are single guys out there and all, but as I looked around a room of pudgy, overweight guys with bad teeth, bad hair, and bald spots, I had to think on to Cookie's advice from last night: If you're not attracted to them at the start, will you ever be when they lose their looks?

Yet, there was one guy who seemed the best of the bunch, despite wearing a tie that obviously did not match his shirt. Still, once we were given opportunities to talk and socialize, I found a way to slowly circulate to that side of the room, managed to insert myself into the conversation, and before long we were chatting just the two of us. I completely missed his name (Mike, was it?) but it turned out we knew quite a few people in common, so that provided some topics of conversation.

The sherries were all quite bad actually, although I don't suppose I've ever really liked sherry. They did have some great canapes though, so I pretty much had dinner from eating canapes as they came around.

Circulated a bit more to make sure I spoke to my friend Doro, and then found myself in conversation with Saturday's Birthday Boy. And as we were chatting and he kept smiling and having awkward pauses, I was struck by the thought, "Oh no, you DO like me!" And so, to avoid getting stuck too much in awkward one-on-one conversation, I pulled into conversation this awkward Russian girl who I normally hate talking to. Still, desperate times call for desperate measures.

Pretty quickly, I was reminded of why I don't like talking to her, when she started talking about how she had been holding back tears when a friend told her this evening she was engaged, and how she was always trying to avoid crying when she heard about friends getting engaged. It was only after a bit that I realised she wasn't talking about tears of joy, but genuine upset at other people's good news while she was still single. WTF? What is WRONG with you? Why not be happy for people?

(For the record, when I heard Cookie's news last night I was nothing but utterly thrilled).

Finally, the One Decent-Looking Chap came over to say that he was leaving but that it had been great meeting me, so I took the excuse to escape the bizarre conversation and leave with him. Had a nice time talking going to the Tube, and I gave him my card, although was a bit put off my the fact that I had to offer it to him without him asking. I made an "American Psycho" joke, he picked up on the Bret Eaton Ellis bit, and then I screwed up by getting the main character's name wrong. Given that it's about ever guy's favourite book, perhaps I should actually read it. Still, I was impressed that he reads.

And then as we parted on the train, he just waved good-bye without giving me a kiss or anything, which reminded me that we'd really only been talking because he was the most decent-looking guy in the room, and all things considered I'd probably been the most attractive girl there. It wasn't a deep connection, it was really just a way to pass the time.

I checked my phone and saw that there was a message from the Head of Inter-Club inviting me over to the RAC for drinks, and I considered going, but at the critical moment when I needed to change trains, I decided to pass. I'd already had enough of making polite and awkward conversation this evening with a guy who had a crush on me, no need to put myself into the situation of having to do it again.

But as I walked home, I did think, "How nice would it be just to have a boyfriend? Then I could just be friends with all of these guys without worrying about all of the weird unrequited crushes!" Of course, other good reasons to have a boyfriend, but the advantages there would be many...

P.S. Bonus note from the next day... Much to my shock, the next morning the One Decent-Looking Chap added me on FB. (Okay, this doesn't actually count as getting in touch, but it's some sort of action to maintain contact, so I have to give him credit for it). And now I know his name!

No comments:

Post a Comment