I was working from home today, but because our cleaner unexpectedly showed up at 10:30 AM (she doesn't normally come until 2:30 PM), I didn't get a chance to shower until later in the day, and had just finished coming out of the shower and making lunch, when I was surprised to find my flatmate coming home 2 hours early at 3 PM!
So needless to say, I wasn't dressed, the kitchen was a mess, and I was totally flustered by this surprise interruption. Not the best time to have my flatmate say, "I think we need to talk". So you can imagine how caught off-guard I was when she asked me if I wanted to exercise our break clause. I was flustered, totally taken aback, and didn't know what to say, so gabbled on endlessly and desperately tried to change the topic. Why on earth do people always tackle you with difficult conversations when you're least prepared for them?
I told her no at the time, that I didn't want to break our lease, because I was so surprised by the question, but upon reflecting on it, realised it's one of those things like toothpaste: Once it's out, you can't put it back in. If my flatmate didn't want me to live with her, then I really didn't want to live with her either.
Then when my first opportunity came to finish up work and escape the flat (which had now become a very tense place), I was glad of it, and made my way to the Lansdowne for our friend Charles' birthday drinks. I don't remember too much about the evening, except to say that sometimes escaping to a welcoming place to the company of friends is just what you need after a stressful day!
No comments:
Post a Comment