Friday, 5 March 2010

Panama - Final Thoughts


Some final thoughts on the wonder that is Panama...

American Imperialism
Wow, Panama was an incredible view into how the US has really stuck it's nose into Latin American affairs over the years. And I thought Operation Condor was bad...The Canal, the 1989 Invasion...those were just the tip of the iceberg. Some of the influence seems to have been good (the canal is really an engineering marvel, and we just GAVE it to them in 1999?), some bad (I've never seen a country more patriotic about how they kicked out their evil colonial overlords), and some just puzzlingly familiar (they use US dollars as their main currency, yet call them "balboas", but insist on using their own Panamanian coins, which are apparently made for them by the US mints. A most puzzling pointless loop). It was funny how much more instantly familiar Panama seemed than the UK, given that most of the things in the grocery stores were American-style products, and they used the same current in their electrical devices. Given that the Canal Zone was actually originally a slice of the US in Panama, I guess that familiarity makes sense.

American Retirees
Apparently Panama is the 4th most popular place for Americans to retire, which was definitely in evidence. It was almost like visiting Florida. And Panama makes it easy too, granting anyone a visa who can prove regular income of at least $500 a month. It seems like as much as Panama is glad to have the Americans out, they kind of want them back...

Cruise Ship People
Given that a popular thing to do is to take a cruise through the Panama Canal (cost of $150 per person gets added to the cost of the cruise), there were cruise ship people everywhere in Panama City. It was funny, as people constantly seemed surprised to see our tiny group wandering on our own, without stickers on our shirts identifying what ship we belonged to, with no provided water bottles and vacant looks on our faces. (Then when we started speaking Spanish, their minds were just about blown). I've never been on a cruise, but I also don't think I'm ever interested in going on one either. We did get the privledge of actually seeing a cruise ship going through the canal, where every single cabin balcony was occupied by a 70-something couple, with all of the men having an inexplicable fondness for wearing Speedos. I do hope I'm still travelling when I'm in my 70's, but not like that!

Environmentalism
I'd been to Costa Rica in 2003, a country which has really figured out "eco-tourism". Panama is now trying to do the same despite coming a bit later to the game, but I fear in some ways it might be too late. Nearly everywhere we went, we saw burning rainforests, and some of the world's most tropical and wettest areas looked like the barren grasslands of Africa. The jungles that remained however were fascinating, with bright blue butterflies the size of my hand fluttering about everywhere. And army ants! Talk about engineering marvels, I think that the inspiration for the Canal must have come from those tiny creatures clearing paths and doing extraordinary things in the jungle.

Paying for the Pleasure of Another's Company
As it came near time to leave our first hotel in Playa Venao, B&H revealed to us what we'd long suspected: The hotel cost waaaaay more than $20 a night, but our cousin Marie had been subsidizing the cost. Basically, she wanted to stay somewhere nice, and knowing that we couldn't afford to do it on our own budgets, she chose to simply subsidize our stay so we would all be together. Indeed, we had a lovely time and I think Marie really enjoyed herself, all because she laid out the money to make it happen.

Again, when we were out at lunch with Pete at the Causeway, he brought up the topic of whether or not it was ever rude to pay for someone else's meal, particularly when they were visiting town. Having done this many times myself to thank a host for their hospitality or just to treat those who have already made a great effort to come out with me, I of course thought it was fine.

But it makes you realise, that sometimes we all pay simply for the pleasure of another's company. Sure, we all have the ability to pay our own way, but sometimes it is such a treat to be out with someone, paying for them to come seems like a pleasure. After all, money isn't much fun when you insist on spending it all on yourself. Having once travelled alone, I swore never to do it again, and I can understand occasions where it's worth a bit more of an outlay to have company. Same goes for dining alone. It's much more fun with company.

I guess which brings me to one of the lines from the fantastic movie I saw on the plane on the way home, "Up in the Air". George Clooney asks the reluctant groom, "What are your best memories? Your happiest memories? Were you alone?" And so it goes, that sometimes we will pay more than our fair share of splitting things down the middle, that sometimes we will be the one leaned on more than the one who leans. But sometimes, the simple pleasure of having someone else to share it all with makes it a good deal.

That's What Makes Them Who They Are
Among my cousins, we each seem to play certain roles. And the funny part is that, whether they are the right roles or not, they continue to play them across all situations. My brother is the peace-maker and the tension-breaker, the guy who always seems to know the right funny quip to make everyone laugh at an otherwise down or tense moment. My cousin Brendan is the adventurer, the one who pushes us to new and interesting experiences.

His wife Hillary is the organizer, the one who takes charge, who keeps all the receipts, who keeps tabs on everything, a bit of the control freak. Now, as someone who hates planning her own vacations, I thought this was fantastic. I could just sit back and let someone else do all of the work. Yet, it was funny when my cousin Marie was paying all of the bills and declaring how she wanted to do things, how that threw the control freak for a loop! Although I think she enjoyed having Marie around, I think Hillary was somewhat glad when she regained control of the whole trip again!

As for me, I'm the intellectual, the font of endless knowledge. Sometimes I think people appreciate this, like when they ask a question and it's like they have Google at their fingertips, explaining how Noriega was a double-agent to the CIA and the motivations behind the 1989 invasion. Yet sometimes I'm sure I try people's patience with my facination for arcane knowledge, and goodness knows I get frustrated with people who just don't seem as quick or clever as I am. I know I constantly have people admonishing me that not everyone "just picks up on" foreign languages when they hear them, that not everyone can remember lengthy check-lists in their heads or logicially think through things several steps ahead. And of course, we've been through it many times how I don't understand shy people. I swear to you though, I'm trying my best to be more sympathetic and understanding. I acknowledge that I'm not perfect, which is a good first step, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment