![]() |
| The crowds at the marathon |
In the morning I got myself up and did laundry, with the intention of
going out to watch the London marathon at around noon, when I could see all of
the front-runners pass by the 22-mile mark, which is where my running club was
meeting to cheer on the runners. Noon
passed, and my subsequent goal of making it by 1 PM was also for naught, until
by 2 PM I found myself out by Tower Gateway to watch the race.
I arrived as the 4-hour people were passing by, although I found that I
wasn’t the only late arrival. Devo had
also just arrived, as had The Blonde, so I had good people to sit and chat with
as we drank beer and watched the runners stagger on by us. I noticed that almost all of the runners were
wearing black ribbons, in obvious remembrance of the events in Boston less than
a week ago. Apparently they stood for a
moment of silence at the start of the marathon as well, I thought a very
touching tribute to those who died or were maimed in that tragedy.
Devo was very kind and gave me some of his precious US-imported beers
to drink, which were truly quite lovely.
I really enjoyed just hanging out and talking to him, as we randomly had
conversations and watched the runners pass on by.
Eventually around 3:30 PM, we decided that the straggling runners were
no longer fun to watch, and decided to head to Waterloo, where the group has
traditionally regrouped in years past. I
said good-bye to Devo, and he said he would cycle to the pub and see if he
could beat me and The Blonde as we took the Tube.
It was good to have a bit of a catch-up with The Blonde, for as much as
I might raise eyebrows at her lifestyle choices at times, I really am quite
fond of her. She just makes me laugh,
you know? And truly does sympathise
about the plight of the single girl in London, being one who suffers through it
as well.
She expanded a bit more on what she’d told me on the phone earlier in the
week, that she’d finally broken up with the guy she’d been seeing, admitting
that she just wasn’t attracted to him, despite his overall niceness and
generally amiable character. I had to
admit, I could sympathise with how she described it, as I have as well far too
often met that “really nice guy” who there is absolutely nothing wrong with,
but you just don’t like them in THAT way.
I just wish she wouldn’t encourage them so much at the start, as it
really seems to just sucker-punch these guys when she realises that she isn’t
actually attracted to them. Which does
make me wonder how she ends up sleeping
with these guys only to decide a few weeks later that she was never really
attracted to them.
We got to Waterloo station, where since I’d texted the Tall South
African to tell him where we were going, he called to ask us to wait a few
minutes until he could come join us, as he was unable to find the pub on his
own. Somehow the 2-minute wait took more
like 10, and then he had a good laugh sneaking up behind me and tickling me
when he arrived, which caught me quite by surprise. He has such a devilish sense of humour sometimes!
We got to the pub and I fell into conversation with random groups,
although mostly with Devo. The Tall
South African and The Blonde seemed to be using the chance to catch up with
each other, which was nice, as they claim that their relationship is a really
solid friendship at this point, which I like to hear (even as I have my doubts
about how truly “over” each other they are).
I did get quite the laugh when I looked over at one point and saw the
Tall South African, The Blonde, and the most recent ex-boyfriend in
conversation. Boy that girl really knows
how to bring awkward groups together! I
checked in with her privately at one point to see if she needed any rescuing,
and she assured me that although it was tremendously awkward, she was managing
it.
Finally though, they decided to head home, although I was still in the
middle of pints with Devo, so I stayed.
I was actually having a lot of fun chatting with Devo, where he showed
me pictures of his flat with a giant Olympics statue that he’d bought at
auction, we talked about making Manhattans, and he insisted that I needed to
come back to his and we’d make Manhattans.
I finally begged off at the end of the evening (after he’d bought me FAR
too many drinks and the room was quite frankly swimming), as I was aware of the
hour growing late and my need to pack and get some sleep before leaving for
Paris at the crack of dawn. He was quite
insistent that we needed to go back to his and make Manhattans, but the cloud
of Paris hanging over my head made me be good and go home.
It was only later that I remembered Devo mentioned that he’d dropped
his wife off at the airport that morning, and had been being as affectionate
with me as always. It almost made me
shake my head for a moment and think, “Devo’s married, he wouldn’t do anything. Would he?”
Even with a place to himself, he wouldn’t do that, would he? Although the fact that I’m even asking, and
my poor track record with married men, perhaps tells you something. Still, let’s blame it on too much alcohol and
less than clear thinking with a less than clear head. And I went home, so all is well.
He’d definitely bought me too many drinks however, as packing whilst
tipsy proved to be quite the challenge.
Still, I finally got everything together and got myself into bed for at
least a few hours sleep before Paris in the morning!







No comments:
Post a Comment