![]() |
| The Pepys Library at Magdalene, outside the dining hall |
I woke up in the morning feeling quite ill. I should know by now that shots are never a good idea, but it always seems to take mornings like these to remind me of that fact.
I stumbled through the shower, only to realise once I got out, standing there with my wet hair, that I had forgotten to pack a comb. I did my best to sort my wet hair out with my fingers, and then make it down to the old dining hall for breakfast. It was so strange once I got there, as I expected to just grab a tray and run through the cafeteria line, like in the old days, but the staff insisted that I had to go to some special tables that they'd set up, completely laid out with tablecloths and cutlery. It was truly bizarre, but I struggled through breakfast making polite conversation with the other people there, trying to get some food into my queasy stomach in the hopes of settling it somewhat.
![]() |
| The gates of Magdalene |
Only about 10 people (out of nearly 100 the night before) made it down for breakfast, although as soon as I had packed as much food into my stomach as I could manage, I returned to my room, packed my things, checked out, and then walked into town to buy a comb. D'oh, what kind of idiot forgets that one?
Still, it was a lovely day to wander around Cambridge a bit, which in the sunshine is always one of the most beautiful places I can think of. Just such a pretty place!
![]() |
| Magdalene by the waterfront |
I took a bus down to the train station, where as I was standing on the platform, I realised I had missed a call from the Young Dutchman, to my great disappointment. I always enjoy our catch-up calls so much. Still, I got a pleasant surprise when I sent out a generalised e-mail to the Young Dutchman, Kellogg Boy, and Canadian Balliol Guy (the Three Musketeers), and found myself in an extended conversation with Canadian Balliol Guy, who is back in Canada. I do miss that guy...
I caught the train to Stanstead, checked my bags, and got in the queue for the RyanAir flight. I hadn't done one of these flights in a decade, and I swear they were even worse than what I remembered. Thank goodness the flight was only an hour long, but even that tried my patience. I was exhausted, but the seats didn't recline, a bit of annoyance that seemed designed purely to make the trip misery for the passenger. I also did worry as the staff all had such thick accents that I couldn't understand them, making me wonder how useful they would be in a true emergency. Thankfully, I reminded myself that I was flying BA on the way home.
When I got to Dublin, I was greeted by the friendliest immigration agent of all time, an unusual experience for going through immigration. I think I might have been his first person of the day (at 3 PM), as he had to change the date on his stamp before he stamped my passport. He actually had some fun joking with me, as he made to take out a giant stamp that would have taken up an entire page on my passport (and I'm running out of pages in my US passport!), but upon seeing my panicked expression, he laughed and pulled out the small stamp, as even he'd realised I didn't have that many pages to spare. Probably the first time I've ever had fun making jokes with an immigration agent, and reaffirming the idea that the Irish are among the friendliest people in the world.
![]() |
| With Des |
![]() |
| With Des |
We went out for coffee and hot chocolate, and after I realised I'd forgotten my Euros back in my room, my friend assured me that he wouldn't have allowed me to pay anyway. Goodness, I do love these Irish gentlemen!
It was really good to catch up with my old friend, who is doing quite well, and after doing well for himself working in finance has been taking some time off to figure out what he wants to do next. I have to say, it always makes me happy to learn that my friends are doing well and happy.
My friend walked me back to the club, leaving me with just 10 minutes to change and get ready for the ball, which I'm pretty pleased to say I managed in 15. Not bad, really!
![]() |
| Touring the club with our hosts |
![]() |
| At pre-dinner drinks in the bar |
![]() |
| Our official group picture |
![]() |
| Our hostess giving her speech |
After dinner, there was a dance floor with a DJ set up right in the club, and I was pleased to say that our crowd were among the first on the dance floor, absolutely killing it from the get-go. I joined our crowds and danced for a bit, although also spent a bit of time in the bar chatting with Des and other random people.
![]() |
| Our club table |
![]() |
| Chatting with random people in the bar |
At first I liked arms with the Paediatrician, but our hostess was on his other side, and seemed to be feeling slightly possessive of him, for reasons I wasn't quite clear on. Yet regardless, I prefer a gentleman who is exclusively paying attention to me, so this wouldn't do at all. I dropped his arm and linked up with another guy who I vaguely remembered had been sitting at my table at dinner. He happily puffed up his chest and took on the gentlemanly role, and when he realised I was walking without a jacket, took off his own and draped it around my shoulders. There is just something so wonderful about having a man offer you his jacket in the cold at the end of the evening, I swear that is really the only reason they need to wear them.
![]() |
| Taking photos on the stairs at 2 AM |
We got into the club where someone had arranged for a VIP table, although I was very vague on the details at this point, as I was just tipsy and following the crowds. My protector pretty quickly got me a drink, and we stood around drinking and chatting, and when he disappeared, I found it was only to get me another drink. I really should have been wise and switched to water at this point, but we only think of these things much later on...
![]() |
| Dancing the night away |
I shrugged to myself. Why not? I was on vacation and I hadn't had any fun in a while, so I was certainly game for a bit of play time. I told him as much, that I was on vacation and wouldn't object to having a bit of strings-free fun while on holiday. He seemed torn, so I told him it was his choice, and so went back into regular conversation, before he finally seemed to make up his mind, but said that we shouldn't be seen leaving together.
Fine with me, as that's one of the things the Young Dutchman has always taught me, is that you can get away with anything as long as you are discreet. So he told me to give him a slight head start, and that he would meet me in the downstairs bar.
![]() |
| Dancing in the club |
After a few circuits of the club, I finally concluded that I had just lost him, and so then set myself to the task of trying to make my way home at 5 AM on the streets of Dublin, with no coat, while wearing a floor-length ballgown, and with no idea where I was.
As always seems to happen to me in these situations, some random guy came up to me and then decided to walk me home. I kept up polite, if nervous conversation with him, realising that I was quite drunk and vulnerable alone on the streets of Dublin, but to my pleasant surprise, he walked me to the club and then politely left me there, perhaps picking up on my nervousness. One thing about these Irish boys, they universally seem to be gentlemen!














No comments:
Post a Comment