Tuesday, 4 October 2011

Honourable Artillery Company

A month or two ago, I met randomly met this girl when I was out at drinks at the Savile Club. We'd run into each other once since, but hadn't seen each other in a while, so I was eager to catch up when she invited me out tonight to a drinks event at the Honourable Artillery Company tonight, which turned out to basically be a recruiting event for the Territorial Army (the UK version of the Reserves). Actually the same thing that the dentist boy from last Monday was in.

Of course, being that I'm an American, I'm not even qualified to join, but I'm fine with lying to people for the sake of free drinks. After all, how on earth to explain what keeps so many men buying drinks for me all of the time? Still, when I arrived and didn't spot this girl, I was still quite careful to avoid turning in my form to register, as I didn't want them even knowing I was there.

We got a nice tour of the building, which was a grand old place, and I even learned a few interesting facts, like that the "Queen's Room" downstairs, is where they used to make Queen Victoria wait for Prince Albert when he was dining at the club, since it was all-male at the time and women weren't allowed upstairs. Not even the Queen of England!

Afterwards, we had a few free drinks in the bar of this place, and then moved on to a pub where all of the people who had done PT sessions this evening were gathered. I ended up chatting to the sergeant who ran the PT sessions, and even bought a round of drinks with him, but either he didn't like me very much or just had REALLY bad chat!

At least there was one boy who obviously did like me, but I know this because he accidentally broke a glass while enthusiastically talking to me. Poor boy, I could easily see how it would have happened, but he was still very embarrassed.

The evening ended with everyone walking to their respective Tube stations and me chatting with a girl who had been there who seemed quite sweet, although overwhelmed by all of the boys and so few girls present.

Then got to the train station and realised I'd missed a call from Joel, which had me kind of bummed. It was nearly midnight and too late to call him, so that was a pity.

And so passes another exciting night in the life of the single girl, although seeing all of those fit military guys made me suck in my stomach all evening and want to do a hundred sit-ups when I get home. Military boys may have a lot of disadvantages, but they sure do look good!

No comments:

Post a Comment