As usual, it was time for the weekly Tuesday run...
I arrived a bit late, but still managed to collect money from some people before it was time to head out on the run. I was surprised to see the Giant Australian there, as I hadn't seen him in at least six months, since Lex's leaving party. I greeted him warmly, trying to at least set the tone that despite whatever weirdness may have happened that last night we'd seen each other, I was still happy to see him. Maybe he didn't even remember, but it was such a surprise, after six months with no word, to just see him pop up out of nowhere.
The run itself was okay, a lovely day to be out for a run, a warm summer's evening running through Hyde Park just as the sun was setting. It was one of those glorious runs that reminds you of how beautiful London really is.
We arrived back at the pub, where at the bar I felt horribly embarrassed to order a lime and soda water, pay for it with a £20 note, and from the change I got back I realised that the drink had cost less than 20p. As I was standing there at the bar, Princess shouted out to me, "Adi! Meet Joe!" and pointed to another chap at the opposite end of the bar. Just as I was wondering why on earth he wanted me to meet this guy, he said, "You're both Cambridge losers!"
It took me a while to make it over to the Cambridge man, where I found that not only did we both go to Cambridge, we went to the same college! So of course, we got into an excited discussion about Magdalene, although it sounds like I'm much more of a Cambridge enthusiast than he is.
Of course, after he said he was there from 1996-2000, I realised he must be right about my age, perhaps a year or two older. And so of course, with these fundamentals in common, one thinks, "Could I go for this guy?" I mean, on the basics he had it, from the education to the age...but....well....no, not quite. I think it was mostly a self-confidence thing, as it was obvious that I was just way more self-confident than he was, having to approach him first, keep the conversation going, and all of that. I talked to him a bit about the O&C and Magdalene in the City events, and so I guess I'll have to try and do my best to introduce him to things and get him involved a bit.
We then survived the evening circle, where I talked to the Cambridge man for a bit, before realising he could well talk to others, so I went and chatted with the Giant Australian for a bit. Just once again good to connect and catch-up, and I guess reaffirm that we're cool....even though it's still a bit confusing to me what the heck happened when we last met.
Finally, ER indicated that she'd like to head out, so I figured I should use the opportunity to get home too. Gave Princess a kiss because it was his birthday, and then escaped to get home for the night!
No comments:
Post a Comment