Woke up this morning to a text from an old high school friend who lives here in London, inviting me out for drinks on Saturday to celebrate his birthday. Yet I already have plans for Saturday! Oh dear, it seems that the usual social whirlwind is about to pick up again... I should enjoy these last few days of relative calm!
In the afternoon, my flatmate's niece and nephew (26 months and 6 months) came to visit, and so I took a lovely break from work to play with them. Something about small children speaking with proper English accents still cracks me up to no end. Had a nice time chatting with my flatmate's sister-in-law (the mother of the cuties) who asked if I wanted to have children myself, to which I replied, "Most definitely! But working on finding a husband to be the father first!" She then said what I hear so frequently from so many people lately, "Oh don't worry, a girl like you will definitely find someone!"
{Sigh!} I know all of these people mean well, but what surprises me most is their absolute confidence in me, despite my poor track record thus far. I do hope they're right however. Goodness knows I do my best to keep looking!
So at least I was encouraged in the evening after I came back from gym class, I found two messages for me. (Since I stink at motivating myself, I will just go to the gym at random hours and join in any gym class that's going on, which is how I ended up in a martial arts/boxing class this evening).
One from a boy who I'd always had the most wonderful flirtations with for months until he embarked on his quarter-life crisis and decided to travel around the world. Although I miss my running buddy (he would always slow his pace to talk to me at our running club runs, and was always good to walk me home in the evenings), I was thrilled to hear his news from China (where he'd landed after taking the trans-Siberian express through Russia). Of course, I think this is a classic example of why he's perfect for me (the adventurous spirit) but awful at the same time (not here!!)
The second was from a boy I'd met at a polo match right before I left for Boston, proposing a firm date and time for the fencing lesson we'd jokingly talked about having before I left. And of course, this is where I get so stupid, as I started to freak out. Did I really want to go out with this guy? After all, he seems to be a bit more of a partier than I am, has a bit too much money (we'll talk about my aversion to rich men another time), and I didn't really notice him until we got to talking and I noticed how nice he was. Although he has been wonderfully attentive to every little status update and thing I do on Facebook, and proposing we get together for an afternoon fencing lesson and picnic in the park the minute I was back in London! But is this even a date? He's attempting to teach me fencing, for cripes sake! Maybe he just REALLY likes fencing and wants to spread the love!
Luckily, before you feel the need to reach through your computer screen and slap me, I reminded myself that it's just an afternoon with a guy who, by my own admission, is really nice. And he's offering to teach me how to fence! Okay, so I'm sure to be ridiculously bad at it, and this is going to be an exercise in comic hilarity, but if nothing else I'll have learned how to fence at the end of it all. And I have to admire the quirkiness of a guy that would want to teach a girl to fence as a way to get to know her. What have I got to lose? So I said yes, he responded within about 30 seconds to nail down the particulars (did I mention he was attentive?), and now we're on for Sunday afternoon.
Should be an interesting weekend ahead...
No comments:
Post a Comment