Tuesday, 29 January 2013

Back to the Run


In the morning I had a pretty intense gym workout, but it was all arms, so I figured I was in good shape to return to my running club that evening.  It had been ages since I'd run, and I figured it was time that I got back into it, particularly if I follow through with plans to run the Medoc Marathon in September.

When I got to the run, we learned that the hare hadn't shown up to set the run, and so Sweetheart set off with a 15-minute head start to set the run.  I was a bit disappointed that Roofie and his brother hadn't shown up, but Cookie was there, and so I had a good time running with her for a bit.

I did a decent job of keeping up with everyone, but at some point after we crossed the river (I can't do long straight runs as quickly as everyone else), I lost the group, and so decided to just cut back across the river and go back to the pub.  The beauty of running in Central London, you always know your way home!

Back at the pub, I found myself chatting quite a bit with Devo and Sweetheart.  I had been wondering how Sweetheart would be with me after I'd been kissing Roofie's Brother on Tuesday, but he wrapped me up in his arms and gave me a big kiss on the lips as per usual, so I guess we're all good.

As I was standing there chatting with Devo, Sweetheart and Cookie, I got quite the shock when Qatari Boy turned out to be there!  I suppose I shouldn't have been quite as shocked as I was, given that he's friends with The Blonde, and of course she might have told him about the running club.  Yet he was one of the last people I had been expecting to see, so it really threw me.  He cuddled up to me and put an arm around me at one point, but I really just wasn't feeling it, and so just drifted away from him.  I continued to talk mostly to Devo, where we got into chatting about trail maintenance on the Appalachian Trail.  I'd had no idea that we had a passion for the Appalachian Trail in common, it was a really neat conversation.

Finally towards the end of the evening (after I stayed much later than I'd intended due to Devo buying me a beer), I chatted to the Scottish Lawyer for a bit, but realised I needed to get going.  Qatari Boy made as to walk out and leave with me, but I lost him as we all moved upstairs, and I'll admit I perhaps stayed saying good-bye to Devo a bit longer than I should have, and hence when I was finally ready to go, Qatari Boy was nowhere to be seen.  So my little plan on that front was a success.

On the Tube home I sent him a quick note to apologise for missing him as I was leaving (being gracious), and got the following reply back:  "Not at all dear, have an interview tomorrow and am dreadfully exhausted - you look hot in running gear - definitely worth the chase!  We are forever fans, my dear."

How sweet, but as usual it just remains too little, too late.  We've moved on, I'm afraid...

No comments:

Post a Comment