The hangover this morning wasn't too terrible, but when I woke up because the Tall South African was texting me, I basically texted back, "Leave me alone, my head hurts" and went back to bed for a bit.
I finally woke up later, got my life in order, and realised I needed to make myself presentable to go out to Lotte's annual Christmas party, which was a carol service by candlelight in the local church, followed by drinks back at her flat.
When I got out to the bus stop, I got out my phone to check when the next bus was coming, and as I held it in my hand, the Young Dutchman called! It's always good to talk to him... We chatted and he entertained me while I waited for my bus, as he apologised for being lame and going home last night, but he was apparently totally dead. I tried to press him about his birthday plans, but he seemed as spacey and non-commital about those as usual. Still, it was just good to chat and talk to him for a while, I miss how often we used to talk.
Finally the bus came, and I made my way to the church. I spotted a few people I recognised in one of the pews, and so went over and joined them. I didn't recognise the chap at the end of the pew, but he instantly greeted me by name. Oh, so I guess you know me? I found myself talking to Sophie about this later, how many people know us that we don't know back.
A short while later, another guy came and joined, sitting next to me on my other side, and I found myself engaging in a bit of light, flirtatious banter with him throughout the service. Just whispering in-between songs and readings, the sort of thing that one used to do in high school that seemed so rebellious at the time but now seems almost innocent. Although after a while I did start wishing that he would stop distracting me so much. Yet I was charmed at the end of the service when he complimented my singing, as did a few others. It's the one thing I love about this time of year, the opportunity to sing in church.
After the service ended, we all went back to Lotte's house, where for most of the time I found myself trapped in conversation with Neighbour Guy. He's obviously got a huge crush on me, but between the rampant Republicanism and the occasional smoking, it's just never going to happen. I ditched the guy who I'd been flirting with at church as well after realising he smoked as well. Don't guys realise what a turn-off that is?
Before too long, I was pleasantly surprised to be tackled by a hug from behind, as the Tall South African had arrived. Although we barely got a chance to talk, as every time we each turned around, there was somebody else interrupting our conversation. I found we were constantly giving each other panicked looks across the room, desperately trying to escape the latest conversation we'd been dragged into (with me, far too often it was Neighbour Guy).
Although in a few brief moments we managed to steal with each other, he told me that he'd seen his Italian Ex that day, and that she'd declared to him that she missed him and was willing to move back to England for him if he would get back together with her. Which of course, had thrown him for a loop and he didn't know what to do now. Yikes. Don't tell The Blonde!
Even though it was only just past 10 PM, when the Tall South African and The Blonde made to leave, I tagged along with them. When we got outside, I saw that I'd missed a call from Joel, which rather bummed me out. I never seem to get to catch up with Joel anymore! So I called him back and left a message, and then caught the bus home. Was back in my own flat by 11 PM.
No comments:
Post a Comment