Monday, 7 May 2012

Canada Day at Guards

I had another one of those "just can't seem to get out of bed" mornings, which was kind of annoying as all I'd done the day before was go to the gym and to yoga class.
I'm pleased to report that I survived my 1.5 hour class yesterday quite well. In fact, the only things I really couldn't do were Child's Pose (ironic, as it's normally the easiest one) and Bow Pose (unsurprising, as I just couldn't bend my left knee enough to grab my foot from behind).  Even more interesting to learn was that my yoga instructor had once torn her ACL!  Okay, so if she's a yoga instructor and has managed to come back from a torn ACL, that makes me feel pretty positive.  (Although she warned me, that she couldn't do Child's Pose for a year after her surgery).  
Finally I did get my act together, and got on the train down to Sunningdale.  A friend of the Young Dutchman's, the Super-Shy Guy, had suggested that everyone go to Guard's Polo Club for the day for a "Canada Day" polo event.  Super-Shy Guy is one who drives me batty at times, as the Young Dutchman really likes him for some reason, but I've never really clicked with the chap myself.  Still, the Young Dutchman likes him, so I have been working really hard at being nice to Super-Shy Guy.  Particularly after a shy friend explained to me that the guy wasn't snobby and aloof, as I'd first suspected, but actually shy.  So I've been trying to work harder at getting him to relax and open up around me (although I still secretly suspect that he might be a snob who just doesn't like me.  It's a hard impression to shake).  Still, I wanted to go to the polo anyway, and I figured today might be another day to get Super-Shy Guy to warm up to me a bit.  
Very funny, as when checking on who was coming and what the plans were, Super-Shy Guy knew well enough to have me co-ordinate with the Young Dutchman...everybody seems to know we're a pair.  So I got talking to him the night before and it was good to have a catch-up for a bit, as we talked about when we'll see each other next.  

For about the first time in my life, I remembered that trains leaving from Waterloo generally go past Clapham Junction, and so instead of trekking all of the way to Waterloo, I just went to Clapham Junction.  Timed it perfectly really (almost too close!), getting to the first station just in time for the train to Clapham Junction, and then with just 10 minutes to dash and buy my ticket before the next train.  

Had a surprisingly quick trip to Sunningdale, where I got out, called a cab, and it turned out somebody was already there.  He drove me up to the clubhouse, I looked around and couldn't find the others, but eventually found them out in the grandstand.  
We then sat through two games of low-goal polo.  The others didn't really watch, but of course I was tremendously into the game.  The first game had one guy on the team who was perhaps a worse player than I am, and really was obviously out-classed by the game.  I felt bad for his team, as they were really playing 3 on 4, and therefore got their arses kicked.  

During the second game, when I was explaining one of the penalty shots, it finally occurred to one of the girls to ask, "How do you know so much about polo?"  I was pleasantly surprised when it was Super-Shy Guy who responded, "Well she plays, of course."  
One of the girls then decided to sit with me through the remainder of the next game while I explained what was happening, and assured me that she'd want to sit with me at the next polo match.  

Once the last game was over, we then went back to the clubhouse, which I've been to quite a few times before, but always enjoy every time I get to go back.  It's exactly what you'd hope a polo clubhouse would be, fancy enough to seem like a private member's club, but relaxed enough that you're always hearing merengue music and guys in dirty white jeans speaking Spanish with all of the Argentines.  
We sat on big leather chairs for a bit, drinking tea and water, enjoying the people watching (fascinating!) and just chatting for a bit.  I will admit though, I mostly enjoyed watching the crowds, and realising how much I missed being part of a polo club.  Maybe at some point I'll get back to it a bit more, as it's so much fun just to see all of the super-casual folks, living these hearty outdoor lives, and yet in a much different way than the average farm existence.  I miss it, I really do.  Surgery first though!

Finally, we decided it was time to head back to London, and one of the girls graciously gave me a ride back to town, which was nice as it gave me a chance to talk and bond with the others a bit, and avoid the train.  
 When I got home, the Tall South African texted me, noting that he hadn't talked to me all weekend {gasp!}  I do like that boy...  Chatted for a while about nothing of importance, although noted with disappointment that the party I'd been planning to see him at was cancelled as we were talking.  So when am I going to see him next?  Oh well, maybe we'll just have to arrange something of our own...

And then the evening finished off perfectly, with a video call from the Young Dutchman.  He was flossing his teeth, and we talked about all sorts of random stuff, from data analysis to "Blood Over Water" (I was pleased to tell him I'd run into the author twice this past week!) to the gossip of friends.  (He slipped and revealed the name of the girl who had made him leave the party at New Year's a few months back...one of the girls I'd been hanging out with today!)  And he made me laugh when he told me the last attractive girl in his college who he hadn't slept with was actively a lesbian.  Cracked me up.  Gosh, I miss that guy...

No comments:

Post a Comment